Tips for best leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for best leeks

Have ended up with 75 leek plants which I bought as plants and planted in the raised beds a couple of weeks ago. This is my second year growing leeks. They are doing fine so far. Just wondering if anyone had any particular tips about growing leeks so I get lots of lovely leeks later this year. I don’t know what kind they are - bought them from the veg society people at gardening Scotland show.

Feed the soil - if you can get FYM that would be ideal, if not start with what you can get.

Comment

FYM? Sorry don’t know what that stands for.

Comment

Farmyard manure - (cow or horse for preference, as its easier to handle and less smelly than a lot of other possibles)

Comment

6X used to be cow manure based, dessicated and six times the strength. I've got a feeling its chicken manure based now though.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Duh of course. I have the chance to get some manure from a friend that keeps a horse. It’d be fresh though so would I not need to compost that til next year before adding to my plants?

Comment

I wouldn't use fresh horse manure - even composted a few months will be better than fresh.

I got some leeks on the go, for the umpteenth time, and hoping I will do better this time!
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                Duh of course. I have the chance to get some manure from a friend that keeps a horse. It’d be fresh though so would I not need to compost that til next year before adding to my plants?
                Most people who keep animals have manure piles some of which are a bit older than others - in an ideal world 6 month old would be best, but as long as you don't pile it on top of the plants I reckon I'd give it a go even if it is fresh.

Comment

I keep my alliums well watered, in raised beds they can get thirsty and bolt to seed

Comment

As per all the others, and like Burnie I keep mine well watered to stop bolting. I have heavy clay soil. I grow mine in mushroom cartons approx 50 plants per carton. which I feed every 3 days. By the time they are ready for planting (or I have found a space) the carton is full of root and healthy leek tops. When I am ready to plant I shake the whole carton in a bucket of water to separate the roots. I use a metal pole to make an approx 6" hole in the ground approx 6-8" apart. I them feed the hole with a sprinkling of blood fish and bone and chicken manure pellets. I then 'plonk' the leeks into the whole and water.... And that's it... I watch them for the first few weeks to make sure the hole doesn't get dry out but the action of watering it will fill the hole in by itself and give the leek room to grow. 4th year of growing like this and hasn't failed me yet... I hope this makes sense

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X