Mara des Bois strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mara des Bois strawberries

I was asked a while back why bother growing expensive French strawberries, (the plants cost a fair bit yes) and the fruit are tiny, well no the fruits do get smaller as the season goes on, but I defy you to find a better tasting strawberry at this time of the year
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02537.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2407435

I planted a new strawberry bed 3 yrs ago. I didn't pick first year. Some were Mara des Bois though I've since lost track of what's where.
    I just feel so so disappointed with all the strawberries. Bland,not very sweet and despite manure,seaweed feed love and attention they can't come near to the delicious Waitrose ones sadly. How on earth can I grow a sweet delicious strawberry. I may clear half a bed next year and plant this one you like. Have you any more comments on it Burnie?

Comment

I grow the French Strawberries under glass and the flavor is superb, they are in pots and window boxes, so I can put them outside later in the summer. Taste is very personal I know, but the Mara des Bois are my favourite, along with the white alpine ones as well.

Comment

Burnie. How would you describe flavour. Are they actually sweet?

Comment

Those used to be my favourite when I lived in the UK.
          Since living here though I have to admit that I prefer the Gariguette strawberry.

Bruises fairly easily in transit so best eaten ASAP! ( aka plant to mouth!!!! )
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
            I grow the French Strawberries under glass and the flavor is superb, they are in pots and window boxes, so I can put them outside later in the summer. Taste is very personal I know, but the Mara des Bois are my favourite, along with the white alpine ones as well.
            Do you have them in a cold frame or a greenhouse? My greenhouse gets pretty hot, I wouldn't have thought strawberries would like that?

Edit: ah, found your other post with photos Burnie - they are in the greenhouse.
            Last edited by Babru; 07-06-2019, 06:35 AM.
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
              Do you have them in a cold frame or a greenhouse? My greenhouse gets pretty hot, I wouldn't have thought strawberries would like that?

Edit: ah, found your other post with photos Burnie - they are in the greenhouse.
              I do put them outside during any warm weather that might drift our way, but I get quite a long season from them in the greenhouse, you just have to pollinate them with a little paint brush and remember to hum like a bee whilst doing so...…………………………...

Comment

Do you leave them indoors over the winter, or put them out for a chill?

The other strawberries I'm growing in pots (trying to see which varieties I like best before getting more for next year) are all covered in greenfly, so if they were kept inside I think the greenfly would think all their Christmases had come at once.
                Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Hi, I keep my pots in the greenhouse plunged in the border soil, they will still get a chill even with fleece on top of them, the wooden window boxes are just covered with fleece and not plunged. The temp went down to minus 6 last winter in the greenhouse, luckily I lost no plants last year. I am allowing 2 runners from each plant that I let root in the greenhouse soil, I then pot them on in the Spring.
                  Last edited by burnie; 08-06-2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X