VegTrug Advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VegTrug Advice

Hi there & thanks in advance to those who read/reply.

I’m now in my 4th year of this growing your own so still very much a novice. I don’t have a huge garden or a greenhouse but the past 3yrs have grown in my 2 raised beds.

This year I treated myself to a medium trug to grow salad leaves, radish, turnip, beetroot & spring onion to save room in the beds for pots, kale, courgette, spinach & chard....all that I’ve grown before.

I split the trug into squares rather than drills, used a decent multipurpose compost, feed & added some vermiculite (although never used before). 5wks ago sowed 1/2 then a wk ago anoth 1/2 but this time used a layer of seed compost. Germination is really poor & ive had much better results in the garden before. Even my trusty valmaine has done nothing.

The trug has the cover on & im wondering if this the issue.....but that’s why I’ve popped on here to see if any of you experts could help???

Do you have a link to the trug in question or similar ? I'm struggling to visualise what you have ...

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
      Do you have a link to the trug in question or similar ? I'm struggling to visualise what you have ...
      Hi

The manufacturer are called VegTrug. Basically a raised wooden structure mines 1.8m long. I'll try & figure how to input a link

Comment

One of these?

https://www.vegtrug.com/range/vegtru...m-18m-vegtrug/

Comment

3years on mine is doing ok. When veggie s are finished I uproot the plants and excavate the area to at least 6 inches, deeper if I can then put in new compost. You don't have to wait for all veg to finish, just the bit where they were. Strawberries have been left but will probably replant next year and renew compost.

Comment

A couple of questions come to mind :-

1) what sort of compost are you using ?
            and
            2) Is the trug in a place where it might dry out quickly ?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Hi veggiechicken

That’s the one, I got a really deal that included the cover so but the bullet

Comment

Thanks all for your responses...

Compost is garden centre multipurpose with added John innes that I’ve used the past 3 yrs & no issue. It’s in my beds & the perpetual spinach I put in at the same time is flourishing.
                However last week for my second sowing I decided to sow the seed & top dress with seed compost instead as the germination of the others is so poor.

It’s against my kitchen wall in a sunny spot & im wondering if it’s drying out quickly as I’ve had the cover permanently on. Today I’ve just removed it.

Soupmaker would you advise the same as you have one?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilko411 View Post
                  Thanks all for your responses...

Compost is garden centre multipurpose with added John innes that I’ve used the past 3 yrs & no issue. It’s in my beds & the perpetual spinach I put in at the same time is flourishing.
                  However last week for my second sowing I decided to sow the seed & top dress with seed compost instead as the germination of the others is so poor.

It’s against my kitchen wall in a sunny spot & im wondering if it’s drying out quickly as I’ve had the cover permanently on. Today I’ve just removed it.

Soupmaker would you advise the same as you have one?
                  I reckon you're on the money with the "drying out quickly " idea - a bit more shade, either by moving it, or putting up something in front of it would be my suggestion.

Comment

I use any non peat compost. Mostly the cheapest from local DIY place. Had A bit of a moss problem earlier this year in the wet season but better now with the sun out. Beans now growing fast, hope to get some harvest in July. Fortunately my trug is near the outside tap so easy to water daily if needed. As for moving a large vegtrug, you would need a crane!

Comment

Originally posted by Soupmaker View Post
                      I use any non peat compost. Mostly the cheapest from local DIY place. Had A bit of a moss problem earlier this year in the wet season but better now with the sun out. Beans now growing fast, hope to get some harvest in July. Fortunately my trug is near the outside tap so easy to water daily if needed. As for moving a large vegtrug, you would need a crane!
                      Moving heavy things can be done, depending on the available tools and site. On a flat hard surface like paving, put an piece of tarpaulin or old blanket under it by lifting one leg at a time, then drag it. On more uneven ground, a wheelbarrow and a couple of large bolts of timber would be my first attempt - for safety's sake, a helpful volunteer to steady the trug by holding one corner during the move would be sensible :-)

Comment

I have canvass drugs and dig in some fresh compost and chicken pellets every season
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Drugs? Ha!
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Thank all everyone for your replied. No way we could move it, weighs a tonne! Ours is next to the outside tap too.

However I've had the cover off for the past 3days & just home after being away. Happy to report better progress

Clearly the cover was just drying it out too quickly so I'll save this for winter salads n crops.

Comment

A!though my dwarf runner beans are now romping away my dwarf French beans showed very little germination. The latter seeds were three years old, so I have managed to chit some indoors and I planted them out in veg trug today . Keeping my fingers crossed. If no growth will did deep in my pocket and buy up to date seeds. Maybe a lesson for next year to buy fresh seeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X