Spring onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring onions

well I've never got 'white lisbon' to grow (half-hearted attempt) and fancy giving spring onions another try, whats every ones fave?

anyone tried 'Paris silverskins'??? thought might do for spring & pickling?
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

I like the red ones, not sure exactly what variety as there're several. I think I've got purplette from the organic catalogue.

Comment

oooh I fancied trying purplette - they sound good, but I don't need ought else from the catalogue so will maybe try next year. Do let us know what they taste like?

Comment

Nothing to do with anything, but Black kitty, loved your original Ativar, what a beautiful cat. Now we can hardly see. Please go back to original so that we can recognise you and the cat. Is it your cat? Please may we be allowed to know the cats name (only the cat knows that, but does it have a name given by humans)

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Not had much luck with spring onions myself, but last year I just left them in and they just needed a longer growing season. So have sown some already in the polytunnel in an area where I can leave them as long as they like.
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

sbp
            Am trying both White Lisbon and Paris Silverskin for the first time this year - will let you know how I get on and any problems I have.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Let me know about the onions too SR!

oh and take pictures (of the onions!)?

Comment

I've grown North Holland Blood in the past but always planter it too late and never had much success - trying again this year and going to 'pay ttention'!!!

http://www.fothergills.co.uk/en/sala...d-red-297.aspx

They're red variety of salad onion.

Comment

Grow White Lisbon always with no problems. Have sowed them indoors, outdoors and in seed trays and always have a great return. Perhaps you're trying too hard. I give them no particular care, have sowed them in warm and cold weather and have never been let down.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Okay Alice, I'll give you the original back. her name is Clarissa, we didn't name her - she came to us a 9 year old refugee. she's one of four. Three balck and white and a psycotic tabby. All strays and refugees.

Comment

Try sowing "long red florence" and picking them as scallions. They look beautifull and taste great to boot.

Comment

I can't remember what variety mine are I have never tried them before but they seem to be doing ok, the second batch have just poked up in the propagator
                        www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X