What type of chicken is friendly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of chicken is friendly

Hi I am Steve I am a 19 year old with autism spectrum disorder.
    I live in England.
    I need to learn information about which chicken is the most friendly and wont peck me when I try to take eggs or clean up after it poos on the floor.
    Are there any chickens that are dangerous that I should not get?
    Where is the best place to get chickens from?
    How do chickens react to having their eggs taken away from them?
    Thank you for your consideration
    Sincerely
    Steve
    I live with autism spectrum disorder. Please be gentle. Sincerely Steve.

Hi Steve, its me again!
    I have a couple of chickens that came from one of the Hen Rescue charities. They rehome the hens from commercial farmers who normally replace their flocks every year.
    Mine are very docile and friendly but its takes a little while for them to get used to you as they're not really used to being handled. Mine come when they're called and follow me around the garden, "helping " me!
    You have to be calm with chickens, no sudden movements or loud noises. For one thing, that would stop then laying an egg!! The hens lay their eggs in a nest box and don't mind the eggs being taken away, as long as they're not sitting on them at the time.

Comment

Thank you for responding veggiechicken
      The chickens from a hen rescue charity/farm sound nice as long as they are friendly.
      I didn't know a chicken would follow you around and I didn't know they would know their name. Now I need to think of names too.
      I don't like sudden movements or loud noises either, maybe I have some chicken genes in me.
      I think I will enjoy chickens.
      Thank you
      Sincerely
      Steve

Comment

I think you will enjoy them too - they're great fun and company!
        As you can see, I'm part chicken too.

I'm logging off now - I think most of us gardeners will have gone to bed by now!!.
        Hope to read more of your posts tomorrow. Good night Steve.

Comment

Ok Goodnight veggiechicken
          Sincerely
          Steve

Comment

Hi Steve chickens are fun and yes once they got used to that you feed them they will follow you . As my experience a hen with chicks would peck if she there is a danger for them.

Comment

Hi Steve,
              Like most animals chickens will react to you and what you do as well as the other chickens around them.

If a chicken is happy and settled in to a place they know, and you are quiet and move very slowly when you are near them then most likely they will be calm and friendly to you.

One problem is starting with new chickens which will take a while to get to know where they are and settle down - so I'd say you will probably need some help for a while when you are starting with hens which you are new to where you are.

Good luck and be Happy :-)

Nick

Comment

Hello and welcome, Steve.

Like everyone has said, chickens are surprisingly friendly. They're also surprisingly clever. If you can provide them with an environment that is safe and comfortable and the food and water they need, they'll reward you with companionship and eggs.

They might peck at you, but this will not be aggressive. Mine like to peck at my shoelaces, for example, just to see if they're worms.

A cockerel might be a problem, as they can be aggressive. You don't need to keep a cockerel to have eggs. Chickens lay them anyway. How many chickens were you considering? Most people here suggest a minimum of three as they like to be with friends in a flock. It makes them feel safe. They get distressed when they're on their own.

One important thing for the future, one none of us likes to think about it, is what happens when your chickens get towards the end of their life. Our chickens are of a breed that stops laying at around the age of four, but they live for quite a bit longer than that. Some people don't keep a chicken after it has stopped laying, but we do. We let them live out their lives, but at the end they do become poorly in the same way that people do. This is an important factor for you to consider. It's a long way off in the future, but you need to think about how you would feel about it and how you would handle it. If you think you would be able to cope, then I thoroughly recommend chickens as a hobby and as companionable animals.

Best wishes. If you decide to go ahead, come back and ask as many questions as you like. There are people on this forum with lots of experience of keeping chickens.

Comment

Hello Steve
                  Providing you are out of earshot of anybody else, talk to them(nonsense if you must), you should find that they get friendly quicker and will eventually come to the sound of your voice---especially if it is related to food.
                  This can take months if not years-----just be gentle with them.
                  Last edited by fishpond; 13-03-2019, 04:57 PM.
                  Feed the soil, not the plants.
                  (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                  Bob

Comment

Most chickens will work for you, but best keep away from light weight / flighty birds - these are mostly pure breeds.

Most Hybrid and commercial chickens will work for you - ISA Browns, Blue Bells, Speckly's, black tails, etc etc. like wise with Pure Breads like Light Sussex, Rhode Island Reds, Scots Grey or Dumpty, French Maran, and the dark egg layers like Welsummer etc.

Cream Legbars - lay green eggs and the Vorwerk (cream eggs) are both lighter and harder to train.

Leghorns are likely to be a no no…

Research will be key....

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions
                      I will have to do some reading on types but not right now Im going to be busy with the plot for a bit.
                      I will get a book and make sure Im not missing anything important, I have read on the internet about basic husbandry but will make sure i get help form someone experienced as I am worried I might hurt them by accident.

I like the idea of having green eggs
                      Sincerely
                      Steve

Comment

Do you know anyone who has chickens, Steve?
                        Maybe you could go to see them and find out more about keeping them first-hand.

Comment

I found that speckledys are very friendly to each other as well as me (mind you, I only had 2 of them in the small flock of seven birds)
                          Feed the soil, not the plants.
                          (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                          Bob

Comment

We have arranged to get 8 barred plymouth rock chicks, We will have them very soon.
                            Hopefully
                            Thanks for the help everyone. Ill be back soon Im sure.
                            Steve

Comment

Hi steve,welcome to the forum,we are a friendly supportive group,i got my first chickens 2 years ago,as has been said,they will not deliberatly peck you,i chatter away to mine when in the garden,make different chicken sounds and and they will talk back to you,also hang up a cabbage now and again,just out off reach,so they have to jump up to peck it,gives them fun,food and entertainment,i find them very relaxing and calming,they are like kids in feathers,anything just ask away on here,you sound a very nice young man,good luck with the new girls,lastly start collecting egg boxes from other people,and get a jar ready for the sale off eggs ,main thing have fun,VC say's everyone should have a chicken in their life and i agree
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X