X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Wonkey Veg

Just got some wonkey spuds from Aldi.
    They claimed they were Wonkey.
    Looked like normal spuds to me, roundish and knobbly.
    Cheap enough though.
    Any ideas ?
    Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Because they are knobbly would be the reason they are classed as wonky. When was the last time you saw a forked carrot in a supermarket?
    Any veg that not a perfectly uniform shape wouldn't make it onto supermarket shelves! Until some bright spark realised that they taste the same irrelevant of shape! Then they've had to market it cleverly as joe public wouldn't touch the stuff otherwise! Infuriating!!
    I do know people that would eat a beautiful head of broccoli out of the garden. Because it didn't arrive in the kitchen wrapped in cellophane with a label on it!!
    So much food gets wasted through people's snobbish ignorance! Makes me mad!

Comment

I bought some ‘perfectly imperfect apples’ from tesc0,says less than perfect on them but they were cheaper & produce of UK,it’s too confusing because all of that’s perfect to me!

Comment

I'm quite good at growing wonky veg...……………...

Comment

A couple of years ago Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall did a channel 4 programme called war on waste which highlighted the amount of perfectly edible veg that was discarded by the supermarkets and left to rot. Some of the supermarkets responded by introducing "wonky veg", "perfectly imperfect" etc in an attempt to cut down on this waste. I suspect it is a drop in the ocean, but at least it helps people realize that veg does not have to be exactly the same shape and size in order to be edible.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'm pleased to see Morries as well as Aldi and one or 2 others are selling 'Wonky' veg.
            This I believe , follows a campaign largely headed by Hugh F.....y W.........e of River Cottage fame .
            A number of commercial growers have been forced out of business whilst trying to fulfill supermarket requirements for 'Perfect' veg such as Parsnip, Carrots,Cauliflower etc.
            As we all know ,Farmers, gardeners and allotment holders, indeed any one growing fruit or veg, are subject to the vagaries of the weather ,rainfall etc. Therefore cannot reliably produce veg of regular size and appearance . Most commercial growers are bound by a 'Contract' to supply one supermarket , therefore lose the privilege of selling 'Wonky' stuff to other outlets.
            Supermarkets have been Relentless in their demand for ,Perfect, veg , cauliflowers of standard and regular size,at a fixed price, the same applies to carrots, parsnips, leeks and indeed across the whole range of products stocked.
            It is Obvious that NOBODY can produce 100% to a 'STANDARD' size..........it is dictated merely to satisfy Supermarket buyers ego and enable them to sell at premium prices...!!
            I agree entirely with SP that it disgusting that there are so many hungry people in the world ,and indeed ,a good number that would happily consume 'Wonky' veg given the opportunity.
            Gp
            Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Oops, looks like we crossed there Pen' Gp
              Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

There should be no such thing as "wonky" veg - its discrimination. All veg should be treated the same way, whatever its size, shape or colour.
                A carrots still a carrot whether its straight, bent or forked.
                I believe in Equality for all Veg and Fruit - Join me and let us rise up together and make a stand for oppressed veg and fruit worldwide..

Comment

It's about time they started selling the imperfect veg after all carrots look the same when they're chopped up in the pan.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

We are talking as gardeners, some people are very selective in veg shopping. When we take the MiL shopping she is the worlds worst.

Comment

Originally posted by geepee View Post
                      Oops, looks like we crossed there Pen' Gp
                      Must be a slow connection somewhere as the were only just over 2.15 hrs apart

Comment

I do agree it’s a waste! I can see why consumers want perfect veg tho- the worst of my forked carrots were trickier to peel.....
                        there needs to be a happier middle ground so there isn’t the waste even if the supermarkets weren’t prepared to sell it the farmers should be able to sell it elsewhere.
                        I’m not saying it’s right just that I understand where it’s come from (so don’t lynch me)

Comment

Well at the risk of sounding like a cross old fuddy duddy When I was a child fruit and vegetables were not all perfect. The solution was quite simply to cut the bad parts out. People don’t even do that these days.they chuck the whole thing out. And if they were to see a slug or greenfly on the produce they would be photographing it to broadcast on social media, suffer veg related Psychological trauma and contact their lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissyteacup View Post
                            I do agree it’s a waste! I can see why consumers want perfect veg tho- the worst of my forked carrots were trickier to peel.....
                            there needs to be a happier middle ground so there isn’t the waste even if the supermarkets weren’t prepared to sell it the farmers should be able to sell it elsewhere.
                            I’m not saying it’s right just that I understand where it’s come from (so don’t lynch me)
                            Before we grew our own veg we used to buy wonky carrots by the sack -aka 'horse carrots' ridiculously cheap, but at least the farmer got some money for them
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

ive bought imperfect veg before and never really seen what the problem was though!!
                              There are a lot of snowflakes out there muck lover- insects on veg is a sign they haven’t been drown in insecticide surely that’s a good thing!?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X