Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salad leaves and herbs in the greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad leaves and herbs in the greenhouse?

I have loads of old seed for salad leaves and herbs, most of which will not germinate as it is so old. However, it feels a bit wasteful to chuck it so I am considering popping it in the heated propagator and seeing if anything grows. If it does, can I grow salad leaves and herbs in the (unheated) greenhouse at this time of year? Will they last till later in the year to plant out (if they are cut and come again varieties)? I know I should wait till later in the year to grow this stuff from seed but I want to do it now as a) if it doesn't grow I'll get new seed later at the right time of year and b) my propagator is going to be pretty busy with lots of cut flowers (and possible other veg) to grow later in the season. So it would kind of be an experiment/throw away attempt. Obviously if you tell me the plants wont grow on well in the greenhouse then there is little point in the experiment. Would be grateful for any advice you can give thanks.

I don't bother with heated props for salad leaves - just chuck them on the beds/pots. Self seeded lettuce and oriental leaves are germinating all the time - they don't seem to know about sowing dates.

Comment

I would sow the salad leaf seeds in a large seed tray in your greenhouse and leave them to grow in there, cutting when you want them, no need to transplant unless you want bigger plants.

Comment

Agree with VC don't bother with the heated propagator. And don't worry to much about the age of the seeds. Just chuck them in and see what happens.

Comment

Some lettuces don't like high temperatures for germination, so better not to use the propagator for these.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'd sow the seeds and leave them indoors on a window sill a sunny one if possible.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks everyone, that's really helpful advice, especially about not using the heated propagator for them. Looked at the dates on the packets today and some of them are ten years old from when I had my first allotment! Oh well, nothing to be lost. Will let you know if anything miraculously grows!

Comment

Just a quick further question - is it worth putting a seed tray lid on when growing the lettuce seeds, or would they be better in just a seed tray?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X