Broad Beans rotting again

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broad Beans rotting again

Well for the life of my I just don't understand why autumn sown broad beans in compost fresh out of the bag, unwatered have rotted in the pots. A few have come up by why would they rot with no water in a cold, dry greenhouse ?
    Last edited by Marb67; 17-12-2018, 11:47 AM.

No idea -sorry, but I have never been successful with Autumn sown bbs. Mine always rot.
    I'm not very successful in the spring either!
    I always leave until late spring and soak them first until they swell, then pot on.
    Even then I lose about half of them

I'm interested to read some useful tips here!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Out of interest, what potting compost did you use?
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Marb.
        Just trying to understand how you've sown them.
        Did you soak them first then put them into dry compost - and when?

Comment

If anyone is having difficulty with Broad Beans rotting after sowing directly into compost you are not alone.
          It used to dement me and now I chit the seeds between a couple of sheets of damp kitchen paper then pot them up immediately you see a shoot or roots appear. I've had no problems since I started doing this.

Comment

Mine are in the soil on my plot. as they show above ground they either rot off, or are attacked by birds or slugs/snails.Looks like I may have to sow again in spring and I like AP's idea!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

First ever time I’ve sown any seeds.... put 3 straight in the ground mid Oct.

As soon as they sprouted I covered with straw and all three are between 6 - 12” tall. Fleecing them later in the week.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X