• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing French Beans success/fail

I grew three varieties this year
    1. Cobra from my own saved seed
    2. Mamba from Thompson & Morgan
    3. TRIONFO VIOLETTO from Seeds of Italy ( a purple podded one)

I ended up with two wigwams of Cobra and one of TRIONFO VIOLETTO
    The packet of Mamba only one came up.
    They sent a replacement packet and I planted half of it, none came up
    I shall try the other half next year !

The single Mamba plant actually did very well loads of beans.
    The two wigwams of Cobra also did very well loads of beans.
    The TRIONFO VIOLETTO grew well enough but the bean crop was very disappointing.

Anyone had similar experiences?
    Thanks
    Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

My beans are naff this year. The goldfield has 1 bean per bine, the lazy housewife was soo lazy she's done nothing, the yard long beans haven't even got that long in the stems never mind the beans.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I grew Mamba but it stopped growing at knee-high, good crop for a dwarf bean though LOL won't grow it again for obvious reasons
      My Trionfo Violetto are about same as usual here - but they did get watered nearly every day through the dry spell. I'm still harvesting from mine.

Comment

Blue lake for me....excellent results, I grow more French than runners these days

Comment

I grew Nectargold which produced huge numbers of beans all at the same time, but went yellow and started losing leaves at the first chilly night (around 6C). The runners (Firestorm and Stardust) have also produced good crops.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

My best cropper has been a mottled purple on green bean. Very productive and good size beans. Must find the packets and see what I sowed!

Comment

Thanks
              I have dismantled the first wigwam.
              Winter is a coming.
              Jimmy
              Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Cobra- did really well
                Rattlesnake- on a wigwam ( seedswap) . Did really well, tasty beans indeed untill the midsummer winds ripped the wigwam .
                District Nurse- still drying but looking like a really good crop.( seedswap)
                Canadian Wonder- Good cropping bean, mine are all being dried but supposed to be good eating as a pod also , being a dwarf tho, will probably resort back to borloti next year.
                Last edited by jackarmy; 12-09-2018, 06:46 AM.

Comment

blue lake did very well !they were saved seeds from last year and iv'e left loads on the row for next year !
                  we call them squeaky beans because the do when you eat them lol. atb Dal.

Comment

Rubbish all around for me - it was too dry and I just can't water anything.

Comment

Blue Lake for me, reliable as ever...some early ones in a greenhouse, and a wigwam outside...

Comment

My Neckar Queen from HSL did very well in a tub outside with Streamline runners despite the hot weather. Probably the tastiest beans I have ever grown.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X