Fennel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fennel

My first attempt at growing fennel, started in pots, got to about two inches high, each with couple of leaves. A month later still only 2 inch high wispy little things.
    I have read that you should leave planting out until after midsummer.
    The question is, do I have an entire litter of runts which should just be composted? Or are 2 inch seedlings par for the course in mid August and actually worth planting out?

Is it Bulb fennel or Herb fennel?

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/ho...growing-fennel
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 25-08-2018, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Sorry, should’ve been more specific. They’re Florence (bulb) fennel.

Comment

I grew fennel for my niece which was sown in late spring. It grew to about 3 foot but the stems were a bit stringy and didn't have a lot of flavour possibly due to the hot temps. I'm now wondering if she got the herb fennel by mistake but it did have some sort of bulb where the stems grew.
        I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

^^^ may I ask, did you grow them this year? If so, mine are definitely a litter of runts!

Comment

Chestnut my fennel sounds a lot like yours, it was sown 27th June and the tallest plant is around 3 inch high. I've not grown it before so not sure what to expect so i'm leaving mine to see how they do.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've sown 3 lots of florence fennel this year. the first lot, sown in May, has unsurprisingly bolted. The 2nd lot, sown in early July direct in the ground, are growing but very slowly, and are a couple of inches high. I sowed a few more in a pot in early August and these are at the seed leaf stage.

I've grown fennel before, starting it in pots and planting into 30 litre buckets. Sometimes it bolts, sometimes it forms small bulbs. It does seem to grow quite slowly at first, then suddenly puts on a spurt, which is when it can sometimes bolt.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                Chestnut my fennel sounds a lot like yours, it was sown 27th June and the tallest plant is around 3 inch high. I've not grown it before so not sure what to expect so i'm leaving mine to see how they do.
                Yes it was this year and just after that I read they should be sown in late summer, but having just read up about it, there seems to be conflicting advice as to sowing times.
                I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

For advice on growing fennel I can't do better than this:
                  How to Grow Florence Fennel - LEARN HOW TO GARDEN

When you realize that it is a marsh plant, its not surprising that it has bolted in the hot, dry summer!
                  A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

In which case I shall pop them in the ground, and hope that they’re just about to have their growth spurt
                    Thank you !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X