Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stems on dwarf french beans chewed through -will they root?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stems on dwarf french beans chewed through -will they root?

Hi all. Just found some of my dwarf french beans with the stems chewed through - some of the others have damage to the stems - I suspect it is woodlice. What I really want to know is can I get the very healthy looking leftovers to root?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 28-06-2018, 12:43 PM. Reason: Threads merged

Well I might as well answer my own thread. Yes definitely woodlice probably thanks to the dry weather they are sucking the moisture from the stems. The solution? Well I have just spent a happy hour putting a split plastic straw round the stems on the rest of the plants - nearly all of them had some damage and this is on 30 plants. The compost is the green waste stuff in a raised bed with wooden sides so perfect for woodlice. Next time I will plant with the plastic straws on them to save grovelling in the bed later. No doubt the neighbours have been entertained as my beans are in the front garden.

Comment

Will French beans root ?

Some of my dwarf French bean stems below the soil, have been chewed through by woodlice; the top part of the plants look perfect; I have put them in some water. What are the chances they will send out some roots?

Comment

It's probably snails and/or slugs. Woodlice grazing on damage.

It'll be interesting so see what others have achieved. Cucurbits and toms show roots on stems when humid but not seen same on beans.

Take advantage of heatwave and sow some more and use slug pellets.
        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I agree Danny - just sow some more seed - they'll be through quickly in this weather, just make sure to keep them watered near the plants/seeds only, and leave the rest of the soil dry, that will deter the slugs .

Comment

Keeping my raised beds well watered just now, hopefully that'll deter the blighters

Comment

Originally posted by mrsbusy View Post
              What I really want to know is can I get the very healthy looking leftovers to root?
              Stick them in a jar of water and see what happens. You may be lucky.

Comment

Mrsbusy - I've merged your 2 threads since they're more or less the same and I'd answered on the original one!

Comment

I’m surprised they’ve been chewed through,a slug would prefer the leaves? I wonder what did it?

Comment

thank you veggiechick

Comment

Hi JungleJane - Well on the ones where they were chewed through I pulled the root out and each had a few woodlice no slugs anywhere; on looking at Google there are 2 types of woodlice and the ones that curl into a ball eat vegetation - guess what all these were - curled up! I really don't think this is slugs because I have pretty much cleared the slugs - which was a real labour of love? No hatred of slugs! I am going to put a woodlice/louse trap in the bed and see what happens. And I have hopefully put the foliage into water - just to see what happens - and have a look for the half packet of seeds I have left over!
                      Last edited by mrsbusy; 28-06-2018, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X