Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many runner beans per pot

Hi everyone, first year of growing veg 😁
    I’ve got some runner beans in a pot which is 26cm in diameter and 24in depth... I’ve got 3 runner bean plants in these with canes for them to grow up, is 3 too many for this sized pot?
    Thanks

Hi Blenkiron and welcome sounds like you might just get away with a 10" pot as you've got 24" depth for them to get their feet into.

Just watch out as runner beans can grow to to over 6ft ! and in those pots they are likely to blow over, so secure them well to something.

I grew mine in the ground in a pyramid last year and by the end of July with the heavy top growth they resembled a 'Pembrokeshire Hedge' i.e. with a prevailing west/south westerly wind most exposed trees on the coast end of growing at an angle towards the east ...

Don't forget to feed them once or twice a week with a good tomato food to help with production of beans as the food in the usual multi-purpose compost lasts just about 4wks on average..

Good luck and enjoy your first home grown runner beans They are so much better than shop bought.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, plenty of folk use buckets and pots to grow stuff, just give the pot a bit of feed once the flowers start, then once a week when the crop is growing, liquid tomato feed is as good as anything to start with.

Comment

3 beans in that sized pot sounds ok. You will need to support it somehow or it will become very top heavy as the beans grow and will be in danger of blowing over.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Keeping the compost moist will help to start with the added weight helps stabilise things but as other have said a couple of weeks down the line they will need securing.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X