Grow Potatoes in pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grow Potatoes in pots

Soo I’m going to grow most of my potatoes in Pots this year. I’m going to use Westland Jack’s Magic Compost as I can get it at a reasonable price however even though they are 60 Litre bags there isn’t 60 Litres which means it will be a little more expensive.

I have the pots already. If I just grow in compost obviously they will grow well but run out of nutrients so I am thinking of getting some horse manure (Looks like I might have to buy as none free in local area). I am also looking to see if I should get some cheaper compost to add and also possibly some vermiculite or perlite to keep the compost moister?
    Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

I grow all my potatoes in pots using whatever compost comes to hand, my only requirement being that it hasn't grown potatoes or tomatoes for the last 2 years. Fresh hotbin compost produces consistently the best results, but I never have enough of it. I always add a good dose of BFB whatever compost I am using, more if the compost is reused from a previous crop. The plants will still need feeding later on.

Vermiculite will help retain water, and I have had good results when adding this, although I haven't done any direct comparisons. Perlite is different - it aids drainage and makes the pots lighter to lift, but does not retain water.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Like Penellype I only grow mine in pots- no great need for many - and I use 2 parts compost and 1 part manure.

Mix it up and fill pot about 1/3 up, drop potatoes in, then fill with mixture to the required level.

Comment

Mark I grow mine in a mix of leaf mould, my own compost and garden soil, then adding BFB the same as Penellype does.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

When growing in pots I use the cheapest compost mixed with some grit and add growmore, this year i am going to add a small amount of shredded paper to the mix hopefully it will hold moisture which will mean less watering
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I'm going to grow all mine in pots this year too as i always miss some potatoes when harvesting and they pop up the following year which is a bugger. They popped up between my onions last year.

So, pots it is.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X