Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much sun is minimum? What berries in low sun?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much sun is minimum? What berries in low sun?

Im planning for some new berry bushes and i have a few spots with 4-6 hours a day full sun. All my other berries are in full sun all day but i have a few spots with not so much sun. What would you say is minum hours and what should be good with these conditions?

Remind where your garden is and what's your soil like?

Comment

Grow berries that would grow naturally in woodland - like blackberries. Raspberries are OK too.

Comment

I will make raised beds with good soil up here in sweden,

Comment

Black-currants and gooseberries will cope with limited light to some extent, but will ripen later of course.

Comment

Blackcurrants grow well here and we are lucky to see six hours of sun a day, more like six hours a week and the rest is a heavy overcast constant cloud..

Comment

I would imagine in Sweden you get a shorter season but longer daylight during it ?

Here I have found so far Blackcurrants and Raspberries do ok in shady parts, Strawberries do not, the jury is out on other things
              Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 12-02-2018, 03:14 PM.

Comment

In my last garden I had blackcurrants that only got an hour or two of direct sun per day although they were in a nice sheltered location with good drainage and nice soil. They were prolific, sweet and healthy. Also redcurrants grew well in the same site. I believe gooseberries share the same requirements as currants so they would be worth a go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X