Who's ever grown GIANT pumpkins?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's ever grown GIANT pumpkins?

I know it's too early yet but was thinking of getting the ground partially prepared now with some rotted manure but unsure if I can grow a huge one outside with/without a pollytunnel frame or wether it needs to be in a greenhouse.
    My plan is to grow some outside anyway for the kids as last years were a success as far as growing big pumpkins go for the kids, but this next year I would love to grow a huge one with view to carving it and putting it on display to raise money for the RNLI. Apart from getting some shop bought seeds and growing some outside last year I have no other experience of growing them, never mind a huge one.

Is there anyone on here that could give me any advise, tips or even recommend where to get some good seeds, preferably from a successful huge pumpkin from last year.

Any help advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I tried and failed this year !
    Love the idea of raising money for the RNLI.
    Where is your location ? That makes ( as I discovered) a big difference to growing giants.
    Have a look at this
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...kin_92713.html

Comment

My largest one this year was about 22kg grown outside in an 8x4 bed with a pile of manure, 2 plants to the bed and one pumpkin per plant. The other one was about 18-20kg so 40kg of food from those 2 pumpkins.

Once the fruit had set I removed all the other flowers as they appeared and pruned the side shoots down after a couple of leaves.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I am from the North East, Middlesbrough.
        I have tried to put a picture on of the ones I grew last year but can't,(useless with computers) but although blurry due to resizing picture and not knowing what I am doing, you can see 2 of them in the wheel barrow in my avatar.
        I pretty much germinated the seed, planted them out with loads of manure and then only let 1 grow per plant, although a couple of plants didn't produce anything. I was really pleased with the results but would love to try and take it to another level and grow one big enough to raise some money this year for the RNLI.
        After a lot of reading, it seems to grow a really big one I will either need to grow it in a greenhouse or possibly a big pollytunnel type cage, has anyone done this before and been successful.
        Last edited by The Griff; 12-12-2017, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I was considering doing similar next season and I ordered some pacific giant seeds from real seed company. You're welcome to some if you fancy as there are more than I need.

Comment

Since its aid of the RNLI, you should grow one of these -
            Record-breaking pumpkin turned into boat for race - BBC News

Comment

Someone nicked my poor Onslow!

He was fifth out of five entries in the lottie show this year, but he was mine all mine!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Since its aid of the RNLI, you should grow one of these -
                Record-breaking pumpkin turned into boat for race - BBC News
                Love it !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimny14 View Post
                  I was considering doing similar next season and I ordered some pacific giant seeds from real seed company. You're welcome to some if you fancy as there are more than I need.
                  Thanks for your kind offer but I already have some Atlantic giant, that is one of two varieties I grew last year.
                  From what I have read so far, the Atlantic giant has won all records for years, but the successful giant pumpkin growers get the seed from proven pumpkins that have grown to huge sizes. Some seeds change hands for £100's.
                  I think I have just managed to get some seeds from the large pumpkin that was on countryfile that Mark O'Hanlon grew. There's no excuses now for not being successful, well.........I can always blame the weather!!!

Comment

Hmm
                    Would "Dig for Victory" have sanctioned giant pumpkins ?
                    Jimmy
                    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by The Griff View Post
                      Thanks for your kind offer but I already have some Atlantic giant, that is one of two varieties I grew last year.
                      From what I have read so far, the Atlantic giant has won all records for years, but the successful giant pumpkin growers get the seed from proven pumpkins that have grown to huge sizes. Some seeds change hands for £100's.
                      I think I have just managed to get some seeds from the large pumpkin that was on countryfile that Mark O'Hanlon grew. There's no excuses now for not being successful, well.........I can always blame the weather!!!
                      Its a bit like gaint pot leeks grown in my neck of the woods. If you have the right 'strain' you can grow mahoosive ones, even on a slag heap!
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

So is that the new name for your plot then Snadger?

Was Onslow grown from the special seeds you bought or was it from the bog standard Atlantic Giant?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                          So is that the new name for your plot then Snadger?

Was Onslow grown from the special seeds you bought or was it from the bog standard Atlantic Giant?
                          C**p standard Atlantic Dwarf in my instance!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Onslow the Atlantic Dwarf? Isn't he in Hairy Porter?

Comment

The pumpkins in the wheelbarrow look great,it's good to hear you've got some seeds good luck with them! If you crop the photos resize to 800 x 600 on Microsoft picture manager it uploads at that size,or if you take the photo from far away,then cut bits off it uploads. A lot of people have problems putting photos on here,takes me ages if I use my camera so I mainly use the ipad & cut bits off.
                              Ive only grown pumpkins once they spread about ten foot across the bed & lawn,normal sized though not giants,is it good to do what you do for beans- burying kitchen waste in a trench then planting,it can't be bad?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X