Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question of parsnips

hello

I have a bed with some parsnips in. Last weekend, I noticed the foliage had started to loose it's uprightness. Are they dying back with the cold?

If so, how bad is it if I leave them in the ground for now?

Mike

That's normal Mike, soon there'll be nothing above ground at all and you'll have to remember where they are! Underground they're absolutely fine, and waiting to be eaten... they'll stay there unharmed until Spring, but you might find the ground is frozen solid just when you want them the most!
    He-Pep!

Comment

If you leave a few in the ground to re grow and go to seed it will form a tree type structure and you will have more seeds that you will ever be able to use.
      sigpic
      . .......Man Vs Slug
      Click Here for my Diary and Blog
      Nutters Club Member

Comment

oooh, when do they seed? next year? (and will they seed in time to plant that year)

(given the tart comments from indoors about amount of parsnips, "more seeds that you will ever be able to use" may not be that great a number...)

Comment

That's the thing about parsnips: they tend not to germinate very readily, so you need loads of seeds!

Anyway, I agree with bario1: leave in the ground and dig up as required. As soon as you spot new leaf growth sprouting next year when the days start to get a bit longer and the temps aren't quite so cold, that's when you might as well lift the lot and use quickly, as all the energy in the parsnip goes into new leaf growth and they're not so good for eating.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X