Foul Figs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul Figs

I've found a local fig tree - it's been there years but I've never paid any attention to it

I've been keeping an eye open for when the figs drooped and pulled a few fruit off thinking they were ready. All good so far - they look nice, were squish but not mushy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	figs_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	2405335

But having sliced them open they all have a partially dried out grey inner, it looks to extend from the eye into the cavity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	figs_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	2405336

Perhaps a silly question but are they unripe, over ripe, rotten or has some insect been in them ?

I reckon it is all due to our trashy summer, they need to receive a good bit of sunshine to ripen properly, achievable in England but proving to be mission impossible here on the west coast of Scotland, over 50 figs on the tree, so far only 2 were anything like edible, our worst summer ever and that's really scraping the barrel calling it a summer, it's been over since the first week of August, and that's for the third year running..
    Last edited by bario1; 24-08-2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

On the first pic I think they do look over ripe - but as BUFFS says, the weathers really not helped anyone this year!

Comment

Apoligies to Lardman for hijacking his post but I didn't think this question warranted a new thread. I bought a fig plant last year, shoved it in a pot and all was well. It grew, which is a start, then winter arrived so I moved it to the greehouse. Spring comes arround this year and I overly quickly whipped it back out of the greenhouse; there was an overnight sharp frost. This did for most of the foliage so it was returned to the greenhouse where it recovered nicely and was gowing away happily. So... back out the greenhouse we go a few weeks ago, some nice new leaves coming along when I notice that overnight all the leaves have started shrivelling, going brown and paper like. Have I killed my plant and if so how/why? Is it the wind??
        Last edited by Python15; 26-08-2017, 03:14 PM.
        The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley

Comment

I cannot help with python15 question but for the OP I think the fig tree you found is a caprifig. They are usually a non edible type fig. They are the male pollinator for female figs which is all done via a wasp which is only in hot countries. They will be the same every year and there is nothing that can be done to make them taste decent. Sorry.

Comment

Caprifig it is then... Perhaps the reason there were still figs left too pick.

Comment

A picture would help Python. Can I ask the obvious, how big is the pot, how often have you been watering etc..

Comment

Python, I don't know if its the same where you are but we've had some cold nights here - maybe its been a bit of a shock to its system coming out of the greenhouse?

Comment

Very sorry for the late response and thank you very much for your replies. The pot is 20" wide by 24" deep and since it's a yearling bush and not very big it doesn't take much watering. I think maybe Vixylix has the answer. It's been pampered in the greenhouse and although it's not been very cold by our standards, when it was taken from the greenhouse it was windy. Could it be wind scald or some such thing?
                  The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men gang aft agley

Comment

Difficult to say without a photo. But bring pampered and then straight outside especially if you have a windy dude/been cold can often be falling for a plant. Did you doing a gradual change from GH to outdoors? Making sure you return to the GH overnight for several days before leaving it out 24/7?

Comment

Sorry for slightly highjacking thread too. Here the Greenhouse has stopped alot of wind burn from storms lately so Im planning the same as you Python15 ie fig in greenhouse in winter and outside in summer as from reading they seem to like confined roots so large pot works ok ?
                      So could anyone have any advice on what variety would be best ?
                      I have no patience so quick fruiting please, happy to pony up for a 2/3 year old one
                      Greenhouse is 2.5m so thats 2m odd ex pot
                      Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 23-10-2017, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I looked into buying one, 'Brown Turkey' seems to be the most reliable variety for Northern climes... doesn't sound very appetising though!
                        He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
                          So could anyone have any advice on what variety would be best ?
                          I have no patience so quick fruiting please, happy to pony up for a 2/3 year old one
                          Greenhouse is 2.5m so thats 2m odd ex pot
                          I paid extra for a 5ltr brown turkey from a well know nursery which was supposed to be old enough to fruit well, but there will be nothing from it this year ! Although it does currently have 2 small figs on at the moment.

If you're not in the mood for brown turkey have a look for desert king or chicago hardy, I can't comment from personal experience but those 2 kept coming up in when I was looking.

Comment

Thank you Bario1 and Lardman for the replies and infoi. Will look out for a brown turkey

Comment

So many figs trees

The terraces at Sanssouci Palace Potsdam with twenty or more trees at each level in what could be described as vertical cold frames.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103667.../shares/35Ak5o
                              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X