Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something nice to do with blackcurrants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something nice to do with blackcurrants?

Last year I discovered a blackcurrant bush on my plot hiding under a blanket of stickybuds. This year I've kept it clear and it's rewarded me with a nice looking crop - so what do I do with them? Last year I made a redcurrant sorbet which was great, so I might do that, but does anyone have any other favourites?

Cheers!
    He-Pep!

Blackcurrants are my favourite fruit to make jam with. But I'm not yet getting enough of them to be worth making jam, so this year I just cooked them with a bit of sugar and ate them with plain white yogurt. Delicious!!

Comment

Ice cream and jam and smoothies is what I used mine on this year...
      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
      sigpic

Comment

My wife made stewed fruit with xylitol sugar substitute, doesn't have that funny after taste you can get with stevia , just had it with ice cream. Hopefully I'll get more next year, first year for my bushes.

Comment

Vodka....
          Blackcurrant vodka. Anything else is just a waste.
          sigpic
          1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Mrs B makes blackcurrant syrup, though last year it turned out like wine gums
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
              Last year I discovered a blackcurrant bush on my plot hiding under a blanket of stickybuds. This year I've kept it clear and it's rewarded me with a nice looking crop - so what do I do with them?
              Cheers!
              Give them to me if you don't know what to do with them! My favourite fruit.

Cook them with a little water and sugar to give a thick puree, use it on ice cream (even better, make your own ice cream and swirl it in as a blackcurrant ripple), white chocolate mousse with blackcurrant coulis is to die for, summer pudding if you've got other fruit...

Comment

Blackcurrants fantastic this year, have made jam, have put some in rum to make 'rum cassis ', blackcurrant ice cream is delicious as is blackcurrant sorbet!
                DottyR

Comment

Freeze them to use in overnight oats later in the year?

Comment

What are overnight oats?
                    He-Pep!

Comment

Oats soaked with equal part milk (or water if that's your thing) you. Can add in fruit, jam etc. Prepare the night before for a quick breakfast. Seem all the rage at the moment.
                      Recipe: Overnight Oats with Jam & Toasted Coconut | Kitchn

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X