Kale in pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale in pots

I have some Nero and perenial tree kales in pots that are doing fine (surprise surprise;-)
    I have planted some in the garden soil but as sunlight is very very limited in winter I would like the chance to move them around, or put at the front of the house to get more.

The question is, will they do well if I pot them into large pots in growbag compost or would you mix it with garden soil ? I just want to gove them the best chance.

Ta

I don't grow kale but I grow PSB in 30 litre buckets and they are fine - they were nearly 4ft high this spring. Unless you are very strong I would use compost and not add soil, as soil is very heavy to move around. I have some hosta plants in similar sized pots on my path and in a fit of enthusiasm planted them in John Innes compost. I can drag them, but there is no way I can lift them, particularly if the compost is wet.
    Last edited by Penellype; 09-07-2017, 05:45 PM.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Feed them Marb, plenty of rotted muck, BFB or similar. When I dig out our old kale the roots aren't actually that big considering the size of the plants.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Plant mine in pure MPC no problem but has been said give them plenty of high nitrogen fertiliser.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the tips, that great.

Ps, Sorry, I don't know what MPC or PSB is.

Comment

MPC = multi purpose compost and PSB= Purple sprouting Broccoli.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

MPC = multipurpose compost
              PSB = purple sprouting broccoli
              He-Pep!

Comment

BFB = Blood Fish & Bone (though I expect you knew that as you didn't ask)

Comment

I'm growing a couple of spare kales in flower buckets filled with compost out of my dalek both seem to be doing fine.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I know what a Dalek is at least. I even have a 1970's remote control model in my office
                    Last edited by Marb67; 10-07-2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

I used to watch the Daleks as a kid half hidden behind the sofa they didn't seem that scary once I watched them in colour though.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

This one's for you, Marb

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X