Tomatoes - Conservatory or Outdoors?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes - Conservatory or Outdoors?

I'm growing tomatoes this year for the first time and after some advice on location. So far I've kept them in the conservatory to avoid exposure, but now the weather's stable I'm considering growing them outdoors. The varieties are Alicante and Gardner's Delight, and I'm in the midlands.

The options are -

Conservatory: Full sun from 1pm to 6pm, slight dappled sun in morning through trees. Not heated overnight and doors to main house closed - can certainly drop below 15 in summer if weather is cool. My concern though is the heat on sunny days - unless I'm around to keep the roof or windows open during the day it can get extremely hot - yesterday before opening windows (warm sunny day) it was around 30C in the shade and 42C in direct sunlight.

Outdoors: South facing brick wall, sun all day. Reasonably sheltered though not like a walled garden. They would still be kept in pots (12" pots currently).

Those varieties will be fine outdoors and would probably be better against a south facing wall than in a hot conservatory if you can't open the window.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
      Those varieties will be fine outdoors and would probably be better against a south facing wall than in a hot conservatory if you can't open the window.
      Thanks, I tested a couple outdoors yesterday and hey're doing a lot better than the ones I left indoors after a very hot indoors. Ambient temp was 37C and the upper leaves had started to wilt - so they're all going outdoors tomorrow!

Comment

Definitely outdoors, the only thing I would do is to check for blight in your area. I can't grow them at the allotment though at home they're fine. I don't know if supporting them will be an issue, next year you might think about bush varieties.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X