Pruning currants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning currants

Previous post earlier in the year about when to prune currants bushes quite rightly advised I wait till early winter. Well that time has come and the currant bushes are devoid of any foliage. Went out today to prune them [thinning and cutting back stems that are over three foot to a shorter length]. However my question is this - shall I still prune away even thought all the branches have fat leaf buds already? Thx in advance.

Don't worry about the new buds, they won't do anything until the spring. Cut off the required amount to shape or thin the bush, and it will take care of itself. This applies to gooseberries and red/white/pink currants. Black currants need a different approach, cut out 25 percent of old (dark) wood each year to keep the bush young, fresh and productive.

Comment

Thanks Speed. I appreciate your sound advice.

Comment

I always prune my blackcurrants as I pick them. Prune off a branch, take the currants off it and move on to the next. When i've finished I stick the prunings into the ground and by spring i have rooted new plants!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          I always prune my blackcurrants as I pick them. Prune off a branch, take the currants off it and move on to the next. When i've finished I stick the prunings into the ground and by spring i have rooted new plants!
          That's how I prune but bin the cuttings as I don't want extra bushes

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

You must have shares in Ribenna Snadger by now.

Comment

there's nowt wrong with home made blackcurrant ice cream, mousse, yoghurts etc, I started with one twig but now have about 15-16 very productive bushes and OH is ace at using these fruit..

Comment

I made HFW's recipe for blackcurrant lollies. Just mix cooked sweetened blackcurants with plain yogurt and put into lolly moulds. Tasty!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I made HFW's recipe for blackcurrant lollies. Just mix cooked sweetened blackcurants with plain yogurt and put into lolly moulds. Tasty!
                  That's just making me envious, I will have to get the OH working a bit harder next year..

Comment

You can just stick them in a bucket of water and they will root. A great way to get free plants to pass on to others. (Or guerilla plant should you be of that mindset!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X