Update on tomatoes of LD :)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on tomatoes of LD :)

Here are the tomatoes when I first got them....

I tied them with string because I had nothing at the time to use.

To what they look like now

Attached Files
    Carrie

I found my first tomato growing on the plants

Attached Files
    Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by cariann88 View Post
      I found my first tomato growing on the plants

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66637[/ATTACH]
      There's 2 there!

Comment

Brilliant Carrie. How do you like the string method? I've only ever used canes but I might try string next year.
        LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

I always use string, twisting the plants around is so much easier than tying to canes.

Looking back through my diaries, I note I was picking tomatoes by now in 2014 (and blackberries) but there's no sign of them ripening yet.

Comment

Originally posted by craftymarie View Post
            Brilliant Carrie. How do you like the string method? I've only ever used canes but I might try string next year.
            This is the first time I have used string for my tomatoes. My other tomatoes I am using canes. Not quite sure if I like using the string like that or not. It does free up some canes so I can use them for other things.
            Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post
              I always use string, twisting the plants around is so much easier than tying to canes.

Looking back through my diaries, I note I was picking tomatoes by now in 2014 (and blackberries) but there's no sign of them ripening yet.
              I've only had 2 tomatoes that have ripened so far. I have had plenty of cucumber and courgettes already.
              Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by cariann88 View Post
                I've only had 2 tomatoes that have ripened so far. I have had plenty of cucumber and courgettes already.
                Lucky you thankyou for posting the pics and updates ,am pleased they are coming good,mine are as well,as for anything to pick and eat,am a grower in waiting,i tried string a few years ago,it seemed to sag and sway about ,i tied the said string loosely around the plant roots,any experts know different please.
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I plant the string on a piece of stick underneath the tomato plant as I plant it and tie the string (relatively tightly) to the framework of the polytunnel. Then twist the plant around the string as it grows. If there are a number of leaders, then I tie string to the main one and tie them up to the polytunnel frame and twist the additional stems around that. 3 stems is usually the most but I have grown five or more.

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                    Lucky you thankyou for posting the pics and updates ,am pleased they are coming good,mine are as well,as for anything to pick and eat,am a grower in waiting,i tried string a few years ago,it seemed to sag and sway about ,i tied the said string loosely around the plant roots,any experts know different please.
                    I tie my string to the side of my bucket/pot and then up to the ceiling of the growhouse.

I just put a little hole in the side of the bucket near the top.

Comment

I have tied mine to the plant. But think I have tired one to tight as it is cutting into the stem. I have had to loosen it. At the time I forgot that the stem gets bigger. Blond moment there lol

I am going to go back using canes next year.
                      Carrie

Comment

Tie the string to a stone & put the stone in the planting hole.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X