Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are 'Jersey' blueberries self-pollinating?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 'Jersey' blueberries self-pollinating?

Hey folks,

Does anyone know if Jersey 'vaccinium corymbosum' blueberry plants self-pollinating? The label doesn't say.

If it isn't, is it possible to pollinate it with a grapevine, a redcurrant, a cherry tree or a tayberry?

Thank you xx

Blueberries need other blueberries for pollination - any other fruit will not do!
    The Q&A Archives: Jersey Blueberry Pollination (National Gardening Association)

Comment

Thanks for the information, veggiechicken.

Darn it, I don't think my garden centre has any of the types mentioned.

Comment

There must be more than one garden centre near you? Ive about half a dozen near me, perhaps you could buy online? Can you put your location in your profile - nearest Town will do, it helps when giving advice.

Comment

Oh blimey, I'm scuppered then - just taken delivery today of one blueberry 'Jersey' bush ....
          Does that mean I need 2 or 3 for it to bear fruit ............?
          ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
          a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
          - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
            Oh blimey, I'm scuppered then - just taken delivery today of one blueberry 'Jersey' bush ....
            Does that mean I need 2 or 3 for it to bear fruit ............?
            Haha, oh dear! We're in the same boat. I believe the article is saying that "second variety" means a different variety, so not a Jersey but it could be: Bluecrop, Bluejay, Duke, Elliott, Little Giant, Nelson, Patriot, Rubel and Spartan.

However, if you don't want to buy another then you don't have to as it will produce SOME berries, it just won't be abundant xx
            Last edited by wild; 01-06-2016, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wild View Post
              Haha, oh dear! We're in the same boat. I believe the article is saying that "second variety" means a different variety, so not a Jersey but it could be: Bluecrop, Bluejay, Duke, Elliott, Little Giant, Nelson, Patriot, Rubel and Spartan.

However, if you don't want to buy another then you don't have to as it will produce SOME berries, it just won't be abundant xx
              That is right but you are not confined to that list; any other variety will do provided its flowering period overlaps (google blueberry pollination chart for that). Just be wary of "Pink Lemonade" which I believe is a hybrid and may not work on v corymbosum.

I have had some nice plants recently from a well known internet auction site, if you can't find them locally.

Comment

I can't remember where I read it (I think it was in a recent-ish GYO mag though) but I'm sure I read something about pink lemonade being a good pollinator for blueberries.

EDIT - don't know if it was limited to certain types of blueberry. Super helpful - go me
                Last edited by vixylix; 01-06-2016, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I think that in general most blueberries are self pollinating, just not very good at it. So it is recommended that a second different variety is planted close by.

That also tends to be true of most self pollinating or self fertile plants, they usually do better with another but different variety close to them.

Blueberries are fairly common these days, think Wilkinsons sell them and even suspect that Poundland may have the occasional one in.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                    I think that in general most blueberries are self pollinating, just not very good at it. So it is recommended that a second different variety is planted close by.

That also tends to be true of most self pollinating or self fertile plants, they usually do better with another but different variety close to them.

Blueberries are fairly common these days, think Wilkinsons sell them and even suspect that Poundland may have the occasional one in.
                    Thanks for the info, Kirk. Very helpful

Comment

GYO Magazine had an offer recently for 3 free blueberry bushes "Duke". I sent for them and, though small, they have flowers and may fruit this year. Offer may have expired though!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        GYO Magazine had an offer recently for 3 free blueberry bushes "Duke". I sent for them and, though small, they have flowers and may fruit this year. Offer may have expired though!
                        VC, I flippin' well knew I'd seen them on offer somewhere ......... Why didn't I pick my mag up and check that - closed 31st May .............. d'oh .........
                        ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                        a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                        - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

^^^^ You could try it and see if they've not realised its June

Comment

Originally posted by wild View Post

Bluecrop and Patriot are fairly common varieties you should be able to find one or the other in a garden centre, the range/wilko/supermarket, and even in pound shops.

Comment

Thanks for all the fantastic help folks, really appreciate it. I bought a very healthy looking 'Patriot' this morning from a different garden centre. Honestly, I could spend forever looking at all the different fruit trees and bushes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X