Freezing Beetroot.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing Beetroot.

Has anyone tried freezing beetroot? Does it work? I've been thinking of boiling my beetroot and then freezing it.Has anyone tried that method, and does it work?Someone will probably know. Thanks .
    Tomas.

Tomas
    According to my Gem guide to Freezing you can
    it says can be frozen whole if firm and small or larger ones can be sliced Wash well, cook in boiling water until tender, 5-10 minutes for the smallest up to 50 minutes for the big ones.
    Drain and allow to cool, then rub the skins off. Pack small beets into polythene bags and slice large ones into rigid containers.
    freezer life, 6 months
    Thawing leave to thaw in unopened containers in the fridge for 6- 8 hours or at room temp for 2-4 hours.
    best wishes
    Sue

Comment

Seems a waste of freezer space, unless you've loads of baby beetroot. They can be pickled, turned into soup, or simply left in the ground.

Comment

Hello Tomas, good to see you with us again. Yes, you can freeze beetroot. You might want to look at this site.
        http://www.cookuk.co.uk/techniques/FreezeVegetables.htm

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

What an interesting link - thank you, MOM!

It doesn't detail onion, I notice (worried about drying/storing properties of our rather meagre and eel infested crop.....), but chopped and frozen seemed to work? Just stick a handful in the pan when onions are called for.

Am happy to be corrected on the above.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X