Sweet Peppers - Now What Do I Do?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Peppers - Now What Do I Do?

As we have never had central heating before I have never had this issue - my sweet peppers (Patio Mix) are very, very happy and have started to produce flowers.

Should I re pot them to something bigger and start feeding them even though they will be living on the window sill for another 7-8 weeks?
    Attached Files
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

I could be wrong here but I think it's better to nip off the first few flowers until the plant gets a little bigger.

Someone more knowledgeable may correct me though...

Comment

my cucumber has flowered today too - this didnt happen last year. Everyone is confused with this up and down weather lumpy!

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
        I could be wrong here but I think it's better to nip off the first few flowers until the plant gets a little bigger.

Someone more knowledgeable may correct me though...
        I'll agree with you
        I find that if you let the plants flower when small they don't grow very big so in the end you get less fruit.

Comment

Chop off their heads but i would soon re pot soon if they are going to be in there for so much longer
          I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

If it were me lumpy if pot them on if the roots are showing well, I'd leave the flowers on till you put them in their final positions then nip them out if you think the plant could get leggy or if it's not nip them off now

Comment

I'd pot them on too,they're really flourishing!! Maybe it's flowered because it's stressed or it could be the variety? It looks like there's another couple of buds unopened too.

Comment

They look like very nice plants.

I wouldn't let them bear fruit yet they need to put their reserves in to plant growth.

It would depend on how long they have been in the compost as to whether they would require a feed or not 5 to 6 weeks then yes a light feed with a high nitrogen formula.

If the roots are through the bottom of the pot then you might consider potting up one size.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Ta Folks - I will pot on and nip the flowers off. It might be a bit of belt and braces approach but I don't want to lose my plants now.
                  I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I had a similar problem last year, I posted a thread on here about it. I had a few plants that done it so decided to trial and error. I left the buds on a few and on other I nipped then off.

The ones I left the buds on grew well and had a few peppers pretty early, but the ones I took off were way more productive later on in the season and must have had 3/4x the amount than the one I left the buds on.

Comment

Ta for that as I have literally just nipped and re potted all of them in large pots that I am hoping they will stay in for the year.

Our window ledge now looks a right sight but we will benefit (hopefully) in a few months.

Comment

Just a quick question whilst we're on the subject of sweet peppers...
                        I sowed two different varieties into covered modules and left in GH (as per packet instructions..)(nearly 3 weeks ago) and as to yet, nothing!
                        I'm getting a bit edgy about them now, is it too late to start again, if I should, and what could be done differently for best results??

Soz, that was more than one quick question
                        ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                        a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                        - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
                          Just a quick question whilst we're on the subject of sweet peppers...
                          I sowed two different varieties into covered modules and left in GH (as per packet instructions..)(nearly 3 weeks ago) and as to yet, nothing!
                          I'm getting a bit edgy about them now, is it too late to start again, if I should, and what could be done differently for best results??

Soz, that was more than one quick question
                          I suspect it's just too cold for them in a greenhouse to germinate. Irrelevant of what he packet says, they like warmth. I'd bring them indoors and give them some TLC.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

does no harm starting them again now if they haven't germinated anyway - resow some in the warm!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X