prune my gooseberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prune my gooseberries?

Hi guys. I've gained these gooseberries, they were all overgrown, i have trimmed them up a bit. Im just wondering if they could do with some more and if so how.
    I've uploaded pic with my mobile from my plot, i hope its worked.
    Cheers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Root66; 19-02-2016, 05:36 PM.

Is that one bush?

Comment

Yes, the guy before had about 14 bushes that were all badly mixed together, so I tried to recover a few without damaging too many of the roots. They were so mashed in together and have already pruned a bit, but wondered if i need to thin out or other things.

Comment

It's not East to tel if there are multiple bushes in the picture? Is this one and there are another 13 elsewhere.

Ideally they need to be about 5ft apart. Then for each bush you want about 3 or 4 main stems in a goblet shape which can be up to about 3ft high (and more).

Looks like there are too many stems in the picture for 1 bush so I would take out a couple of complete stem - however it is difficult to see clearly. Also maybe remove a third of last year's growth to encourage sideshoots (and fruit).

Having said that I don't know what you've already pruned off.
        The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
        William M. Davies

Comment

I can't see the photo very well either but agree with Paulie - there looks about two or three bushes there. You could just leave them and see how they fruit this year but start some more with your prunings. They take easily.

Comment

I agree, I would see if they can be teased apart

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, sorry for the poor pic, was uploading from mobile and had to reduce the file size to be able for it to upload it.

Yes this was a pic of 2 of 3 (or so i thought) bushes from his 14. They were so overgrown so hard to tell everything, and I dont have any experience with fruit bushes.

So i need to space them out a bit more and remove a number of stems.

Much appreciated everyone's advice!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X