Mulch for Asparagus bed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulch for Asparagus bed?

I'm not sure about using manure because of the hygiene implications. Mushroom compost has a very low nutritional value and is very expensive. I don't have enough home grown compost. Any advice please?

It is a very large bed 20sq m and I realise that it's going to be expensive, but it didn't get anything last year so I'm going to have to grit my teeth I think

I'd say seaweed but you live further from the sea than I do.

If you can get some well rotted manure then use that. Once it's rotted it is lovely stuff.

How much is mushroom compost?
    Our local doodahwhatsit sell soil conditioner compost and it was 44 quid for a builder bag which is about 1000L. Delivered.
    Still dear.

Comment

Do you know any parks or cemeteries that just rake up their leaves in piles and leave them?
      You could ask if you can have some that has rotted down.

When you say the hygiene implications are you thinking of cutting the spears through it or something entirely different? I always wear gloves in the garden as I am a wuss in my older age, with the thought of mice, rats, cats, foxes etc all doing there business is off putting so not much point worrying about horse poo, just wash your veggies before eating

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X