Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you remove the leaves from Brussels Sprouts?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you remove the leaves from Brussels Sprouts?

I've never removed the lower leaves from the plants and never seem to get very big sprouts.

Do any of you remove them and if so when do you do it and do you take them all off at one time or should it be a gradual process?

Thanks for reading
    My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

They fall off by themselves. Never removed them if they're healthy and always good good sprouts. I don't think there is any necessity to do it and the size of the sprouts is governed by the variety, soil prep and time of planting.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Agree, only take them off if they are yellow or hanging off. They need their leaves to build up the sprouts.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

As above, unless you want to eat them (thin stips added to a stir fry or as a cabbage substitute )
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll leave them alone.
          We were doing a plot inspection yesterday and one guys spouts looked amazing and had no lower leaves so I thought I would check.
          My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Like Alison said, maybe just a different variety. Ask him what they are and how he grew them, pick his brains.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              Like Alison said, maybe just a different variety. Ask him what they are and how he grew them, pick his brains.
              ..............and his sprouts

Comment

People do things in different ways & get good results. I do remove the lower leaves from my Brussels sprouts,when they are marble sized. In stages never all in one go,to allow the sprout more space to grow. I keep the top leaves on till close to harvesting. A sprout is made of leaves,getting rid of some leaves doesnt have any detrimental effect on the plant,I think it helps the sprout get some sunlight & space. There's loads of info online about it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X