No announcement yet.

When do people plant out runner beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do people plant out runner beans?

I think im a little early, my runners are up and at the rate they grow will be ready to go out in around a week or so.

If I put them out around 5th May or so is that too early in Surrey?

Are you still getting frosts? If so then you'll need to protect. I've only just sown mine for planting out in late May but I'm a fair bit further north.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I think we are past frosts now, looks a bit cold next week though.

Are they like Tomatoes that like temps over 10C or is it just frost I need to look out for?

Comment

I find them hardier than toms (if properly hardened off) although cold will stall their growth a bit.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I don't put mine out 'til mid May, we always seem to get a cold/frosty spell about the 12th May

Comment

Google "last frost date surrey" and work on the basis of that. Runner beans are more cold hardy than tomatoes but they grow so quick that its almost irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
              I think im a little early, my runners are up and at the rate they grow will be ready to go out in around a week or so.

Mine have been in the greenhouse since middle march, always have done, never had one runner bean plant die from frost and are growing well, don't really understand why it's advised to plant out/seed so late?

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post

I'm in West Sussex and I reckon not to have frosts from about the third week in May. However it does depend whether you are planting out in a sheltered garden or exposed allotment site. At the allotment we've had frosts into June. I've seen many runner bean plants turn white with cold and shrivel away, whilst my later planted ones soon overtake the strugglers. I only planted the seed two days ago.

Comment

I will only be sowing mine today, mine never go out until the end May, not really to protect from frost, just what I have always done

Comment

Mid May here: we have seen snow in mid May before now. Frosts forecast for next week...

Comment

I'll be sowing mine next week then they usually get planted out at the end of May.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I'm sowing mine today in pots. They will go out when they are big enough.
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

We normally sow ours in situ when we go on holiday. This year, not going till end of Mwy, so will have to be a little earlier, about the 2nd week
                          Nannys make memories

Comment

Mine went into pots on Friday - when they are big enough I will plant them out and shove a cut down platic bottle on each one if the weather starts to look iffy
                            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Whenever you choose to plant them out, unless you delay until end of May / early June, you need to be prepared to protect them on cold nights. Average Last Frost Dates are of absolutely no use in the freak years when we get a late frost - in June even ...

Chilly (but not "cold") nights upset them and slow them down and they spend time recovering.

If you are able to look after them "under cover" for some time longer I would definitely delay, rather than rush.

I would also be planting out when the forecast for the week ahead looks "warm" as that will give them a good start. Right now the forecast for the next few days is unseasonally cold.

I haven't sown mine, I think they are miserable when planted out early and get severely stressed and then take a couple of weeks to recover and get going again, whereas mine grow without any "check" to their growth at all.

I think it is also worth sowing some "early" and some "main" a few weeks later. In a good year the Early ones will have no late frosts / cold weather and will provide an early crop. In bad years the backups will be the saviour.

Also worth considering "sowing a bean" at each place where you plant-a-plant, so that the beans germinate and provide a crop later in the season.
                              Last edited by Kristen; 26-04-2015, 12:52 PM.
                              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X