sweet corn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet corn

hi all, ive just got my sweetcorn come up indoors in an un heated prop i head thet they like cool places to grow should i put them out in the prop in my greenhouse or put them on my windowsill for a few weeks,any advice welcome ,cheers
    The Dude abides.

I've only sown mine today. I wouldn't have thought they could go out until the frost is over.
    @thecluelessgardener

Comment

ok thanks windowsill it is then for a while ,cheers
      The Dude abides.

Comment

Blimey - you're all quick off the mark! I won't even think about mine for another couple of weeks, cos they can't go out (here) until mid-May

Comment

At least 3 weeks before my sweetcorn seeds see the light of day

Comment

do you mean outside out or gh out ?
            The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
              Blimey - you're all quick off the mark! I won't even think about mine for another couple of weeks, cos they can't go out (here) until mid-May

I only planted them due to Kristen‎ monthly theread
              @thecluelessgardener

Comment

they said april on the pack so i i thought its april time to get them in
                The Dude abides.

Comment

Might be worth a second sowing in a few weeks, we all have differing views, in the past I leave mine in small pots if sown early as this appears to slow them down and for me it has not been detrimental to the crop

Comment

Originally posted by NatalieCooke View Post
                    April is 4 weeks you don't have to sow everything on the 1st .................tempting as that is

I've been there done that, now I aim for patience - but sometimes the halo slips and chokes me lol

Comment

I can always grow some more later on in the month. First year growing them so I'm a little unsure what I'm doing.
                      @thecluelessgardener

Comment

Originally posted by NatalieCooke View Post
                        Still need to read the packet please!

I think you can get away with sowing at the start of April (although you are a lot further North than me). Its about 6 weeks to raise a plant for planting out (although Sweetcorn grows quickly, so might not be that long), and it will be mid-May in 6 weeks time. Still early to plant out if soil is cold and you might still get a late frost.

They need to be indoors and minimum 10C (I think? they will probably survive Frost Free, but better to keep them warmer so they are not cold-stressed) until then
                        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Frost will almost wipe you out, I lost a whole patch a few years back but luckily with sweet corn you can re plant quickly.
                          Keep indoors, maybe need to move to bigger pot before you plant out, they can get stressed with a tight root ball.
                          Get a thermometer, put it in your greenhouse and check the weather daily, if it is expected to be below 7-8 bring them in and put back out in the morning. Then you have the extra space, I do this year round with peppers Toms etc
                          I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
                            maybe need to move to bigger pot before you plant out, they can get stressed with a tight root ball.
                            I think they are better sown in a pot large enough for them as they dislike root disturbance so bigger-pot rather than potting-on is, I think, preferable.

I use newspaper pots (roll a sheet of newspaper around an aerosol can) so that I can plant the whole think out.
                            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I grow mine in plastic drinking cups. My first year growing was 2014, definately better get a wriggle on with this years
                              Nannys make memories

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X