Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sowing Courgettes

Hello All,

It's been a while! Hope you're all well. The growing season is upon us again....

May I ask when you all sow your courgettes? I start them off in pots indoors and plant out when the weather is warm enough. Usually, I plant in late April but I notice that compared to my neighbours my harvest starts a bit later. Last year I didn't have fruits until late July. Is this normal or should I be sowing a bit earlier and re-potting to keep indoors for longer?

Thank you!

J

Depends how much space you have. I don't want to plant out until late May / early June and so sow based on that. You can risk earlier and may get lucky but I'd prefer not to have to dodge frosts.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Oh and after a summer if courgette gluts I've had enough anyway so I don't think I need an extra couple of weeks at the start.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Alison. Sorry, I meant I plant them indoors in pots in late April and not actually plant them outdoors! Should I sow them indoors sooner?
        My post wasn't very clear!

Comment

Last year I don't think I ate a courgette...the year before I ate courgette soup pretty much every day because I didn't want to waste them It really put me off
          I don't start till early may.

Comment

They can't go out until your last frost. So work back. Personally I think late April is early enough

Comment

I love them! I grow yellow atena polka. Even my husband and three year old will eat them! I can't wait for courgettes.

Comment

Mine have just popped their heads up out the soil, have plenty of room in the tunnel at the moment though. They are also yellow atena. Never tried them before, but we eat lots of roast veg here.

Comment

Oh! I have no tunnel.
                  You will love Atena Polka! Best courgette ever in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by libbyloulou View Post
                    Mine have just popped their heads up out the soil
                    Unless you have heated greenhouse / tunnel and they are going to be planted under cover (rather than outside) I think you are too soon. The plants will be huge by the time they can go outside.
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Seriously thinking of not growing any this year after discovering Burgess Vine Buttercup. It's a winter squash but can be harvested as soon as it is big enough and is gorgeous. Really need to make a decision............maybe just one courgette but then I'll need to put two seeds in and if they both grow...........
                      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

i love courgettes, one of my favourite prolific crops, stuffed, sliced, roasted, baked, grilled, fried, raw etc i just love them. The chickens love them chopped up as well, so bring the glut on. i always forget and let them get too big, so i am going to try and pick at the right size.
                        i have a tiny little round one and one little green bush just forming now, i hand pollinated the round one as its in the tunnel. i know the first ones normal fall off but checking everyday, can't wait.
                        I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

I sow start of April. Germinate inside, then in the unheated greenhouse giving strong plants to be planted out late May/early June.

I also do a start of March sowing to get a couple of plants in whopping pots in the greenhouse for an early crop. Two plants. This year I sowed 4 seeds, I got impatient at their not germinating did another four and now they're all up and I've a whole pile of too early courgettes...
                          Garden Grower
                          Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Aaaaagggghhh! You innocently click on to what looks like an innocuous thread about courgettes and suddenly you're desperately trying to work out how to fit Atena Polka and Burgess Vine Buttercup in to your oh so limited growing space

Comment

I know what you mean Yasai! I've grown Atena and will again this year but the Buttercup is drawing me in...............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X