Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale question

Hi guys,
    Will it be OK to plant these dwarf kale outside?

They are all about the same size.

Thanks

Kale

Where are you? Where have the plants been? Outside all winter or in a greenhouse or in a cold frame?

Comment

Are they all kale? The one in the middle looks like kale but the others don't. When were they sown
      Last edited by Scarlet; 08-03-2015, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
        Where are you? Where have the plants been? Outside all winter or in a greenhouse or in a cold frame?
        Sown 21st October 2014, been in an unheated greenhouse.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Are they all kale? The one in the middle looks like kale but the others don't. When were they sown
        Those are spinach, I didn't photograph them all

Comment

I'd give them sometime in the great outdoors before planting out permanently. Once gardened off they are pretty tough.

Comment

I'd harden off and put them out then although they may bolt later. I've never sown that late in the year. Though I often sow in augand plant in the GH for overwinter when little else is in the GH (spring cabbage too)they put on reasonable growth through the Autumn and early spring give a really good crop.

Comment

I'd give them sometime in the great outdoors before planting out permanently. Once gardened off they are pretty tough.
              Wendy, you keep pipping me at the post this evening!

Comment

I've got a kale that I sowed last August - got ravaged by caterpillars. But seems to have survived that and the winter on its own outside. So pretty tough. I'm guessing I'll get a small crop before it bolts. Mines Nero I think rather than dwarf.

Comment

As people say, kale is pretty hardy so long as it's not shocked by a sudden drop in temperature. No experience of sowing at that time of year though as I always sow mine in April-ish for eating over winter so it's quite a bit plant by the time the cold comes.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    I'd harden off and put them out then although they may bolt later. I've never sown that late in the year. Though I often sow in augand plant in the GH for overwinter when little else is in the GH (spring cabbage too)they put on reasonable growth through the Autumn and early spring give a really good crop.
                    Thanks guys, I've been hardening them off ready to plant out

Comment

Planted & netted, thanks for all the help guys

Comment

My cavalo nero are now going to flower, so they're going in the freezer
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I like eating the flowers

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X