Recommended Main Crop Potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Main Crop Potatoes

Could you recommend a main crop potatoe, I intend to plant International Kidney as an early but am stumped for a main crop

I've had good results from Desiree, but have no real space for maincrop anymore. I just let the Charlottes stay in the ground a bit longer. We're still eating the ones I dug in July.
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

We have got both International Kidney and Desiree this year. Gone for those because of flavour and the Desiree we use for mash and find it a good jacket spud. Depends whst you want to use it for.
      sigpic

Comment

On the farm we always planted mostly pentland dell with a couple af acres of arron victory (blues). Both are great for what they do, dell for chips and blues for floury boiled.
        Last edited by Bacchus; 07-01-2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
          I've had good results from Desiree, but have no real space for maincrop anymore. I just let the Charlottes stay in the ground a bit longer. We're still eating the ones I dug in July.
          Thanks, could you tell me what it is you like about Charlotte ? Do you mean you dug them up in July and stored them, just need to clarify as that would seem to avoid slug damage etc

Comment

Hello watso & welcome to the Jungle. Yes, they will have been harvested in July & stored.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Hi watso Sarpo Mira
              decent size (blight resistant) good cropper plenty of foilage to cover weeds
              verry pleased with them last year
              Will plant them and charlotte
              cheers Peter

Comment

sarpo mira for me too.

As stated, blight resistant, and grow to a good size.

THey are a late main crop.

I will be growing again this year.

Comment

Originally posted by watso View Post
                  I intend to plant International Kidney as an early but am stumped for a main crop
                  Just want to double check that you know the flavour of International Kidney and are NOT expecting them to taste like Jersey Royals?
                  K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                    Just want to double check that you know the flavour of International Kidney and are NOT expecting them to taste like Jersey Royals?
                    Not expecting Jersey Royal 😊

Comment

im growing cara because apparently their blight resistant, if it wasn't for fear of blight if probably chose something else

Comment

I have tried International Kidney a couple of times but found them tasteless and a very poor cropper. Cant help with maincrop gave up growing them.

Comment

Another vote for Desiree here.

Comment

I'd be very surprised if you don't get at least one vote for most varieties However I vote for Cara as they did us proud last year with large potatoes and our first ever home grown jacket spud.

That said this year we're not growing them lack of space, decided on the uncommon spud approach and we're going for Salad Blue and Highland Burgundy again. Hoping to space them out enough to end up with a blue jacket

I also second the tastelessness of International kidney, although it may have been the year we grew them (lots of complaints about tasteless spuds that year)

Comment

The great taste of Jersey Royals was mainly because they were grown on a south facing slope were the ground had had tonnes of seaweed ploughed in as a fertiliser.
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X