Shallots, leave over winter?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shallots, leave over winter?

I planted shallots from seed about July/August. Too late I know but I got carried away. They are fine but very small. If I leave them will they continue to grow over winter and be edible and alright sometime in the spring?

When you say planted shallots, do you mean sowed seed or planted sets? Where are the plants at the moment, in the ground or in pots? If they are in the ground you have little option but to leave them be but perhaps give them a bit of protection when the weather deteriorates. If they are in pots you could move them somewhere sheltered like next to a house wall or in a greenhouse or cold frame. They don't need heat. Plants have grown quite a lot these past few weeks due to the mild weather but the light levels are too low over the winter for anything much to grow. Hopefully your shallots will survive the winter and grow away well in the Spring, especially if you give them a feed then.

Comment

I sowed from seed. They stein the ground still. Seem healthy, but small.
      Thanks for the tips. When the weather cools I'll give them some fleece and see what I've got come spring.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X