Source of garic bulbs and shallots.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source of garic bulbs and shallots.

May I ask if anyone can recommend the best (i.e. decent quality but cheapest) sources of garlic bulbs (including Elephant garlic) and shallot sets. I have never grown garlic, and it's a long time since I grew shallots.

I got this lot:

Garlic Bulbs - Lovers' Collection - Dobies of Devon

As I said in a post on another thread, I planted a total of 104 cloves from these last weekend. There were some really fat cloves amongst them too, even the runty cloves were worth planting. You have to expect a few won't come up, but if they were all to produce a bulb, it would work out about 13p each.

Lots more options with Dobies if you don't want quite so much as me.
    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Rightly or wrongly I buy store garlic & shallots. Organic ones are better as there is less chance of them being sprayed with a growth inhibitor. I only plant garlic to deter the underground mammals so not bothered about the size of the bulbs at harvest time. Even if they are on the small side, they can still be cooked & eaten...............and cheap as chips.

Organic Garlic 3 Pack

Shallot Onions 300G
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I got my collection from T+M some years ago. Although I made the mistake of ordering them around this time of year only to receive them the following sept/oct

Comment

Wilko's are ok

Comment

Simply Seed for mine.

Comment

I always plant my own, saving the best each year to replant. I haven't bought garlic for years although this year I "treated" myself to some new stock from these: Seed Garlic for Planting | The Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight I bought mine in a fair so I didn't have to pay postage.
              They aren't cheap but the cloves were huge! You can get cheap garlic in Wilcos......

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                Rightly or wrongly I buy store garlic & shallots. Organic ones are better as there is less chance of them being sprayed with a growth inhibitor. I only plant garlic to deter the underground mammals so not bothered about the size of the bulbs at harvest time. Even if they are on the small side, they can still be cooked & eaten...............and cheap as chips.

Organic Garlic 3 Pack

Shallot Onions 300G
                If you are going to buy organic garlic from the shop it's also worth going to a local farmers market. My mum bought hers last year from her local veg market and she had a fantastic crop (I know it could have been the weather!) best crop she's ever had.

Comment

I normally replant but had a bad year with white rot, so bought these
                  2 GARLIC BULBS ALLIUM EDENROSE FOR GARDEN PLANTING *PLANT NOW* | eBay
                  plus a couple of Albigensian Wight (shared postage)

They are really good quality and the cloves are ginormous

Comment

I just used some from the supermarket and they are all up and look strong. Think they are a Spanish Variety so not too sure how they will hold up if we have a bad winter but the bulbs are so cheap I'm not going to be too bothered if they fail. As someone above has said Wilkinson have a range of bulbs for £2.

Comment

Berr, I purchased some garlic heads from Kings Seeds. They were very good quality heads and they traveled well out here to Spain. They are in the ground and some are coming up already.
                      Just think happy thoughts

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X