Carrots question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots question

Is it safe to remove the mesh off my carrots now? Surely the carot flies are deceased?
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Hmmm ... standard advice [if not protecting the crop] is to harvest before the end of August thereby avoiding he second-crop of egg laying. In a mild year there might even be a third crop ...

... and if you are over wintering Carrots then the bugs get a chance to linger (although they will do that in Cow Parsley, if that is endemic nearby? it is here) and Parsnips.

Ever year I intend to mesh my Parsnips too, to stop the fly harbouring there, but in part because I think that fly damage to Parsnips may be causing the canker that I get. I'll add it to next year's resolution list ... again!

so I reckon either harvest soon or maintain the mesh.
    Last edited by Kristen; 22-09-2014, 09:49 AM.
    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Yep, I'd keep em covered too Bill. The second wave of flies can easily still be hatching in September.

The RHS advice page says CF are active May to October. (unfortunately)
      My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Thanks to you both, I didnt want to hear that but I suspected as much.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Curious: Why do you want to take the mesh off? Just the hassle? or something else maybe?

Comment

I leave the mesh on mine throughout the whole season and find that it insulates them a bit when it gets cold too. I only drape it across the carrots whereas I form a frame for brassicas. This means I have to remove the fine mesh over them as the snow load causes them to collapse. Not a problem if only drapped.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

On a related question, do you have to leave brassicas protected through winter too? I haven't seen so many cabbage whites about recently.
              My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
                On a related question, do you have to leave brassicas protected through winter too? I haven't seen so many cabbage whites about recently.
                Cabbage Whites might disappear but the pesky pigeons wont...I would say keep them covered

Comment

What about cabbage root fly then on turnips/celeriac? I usually just leave them covered but it would be nice to know from other people's experience.
                  "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                    What about cabbage root fly then on turnips/celeriac? I usually just leave them covered but it would be nice to know from other people's experience.
                    They don't suffer from carrot fly but do from the cabbage version of it . Different pest but still a pest.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

I swap my fine Cabbage White Butterfly netting for a wide mesh Bird Netting in Winter - that lets the snow through which avoids the whole structure collapsing if we get a decent dump of snow

We had a few hot days a week or so back, and I saw Cabbage White butterflies active ...
                      Last edited by Kristen; 22-09-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                        I swap my fine Cabbage White Butterfly netting for a wide mesh Bird Netting in Winter - that lets the snow through which avoids the whole structure collapsing if we get a decent dump of snow

We had a few hot days a week or so back, and I saw Cabbage White butterflies active ...
                        That's what I do too for taller brassicas but for shorter stuff like swedes and cabbages I just remove the frame and lay the enviromesh on top as it doesn't matter if it touches by then. This mirrors what I do with the carrots.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                          Curious: Why do you want to take the mesh off? Just the hassle? or something else maybe?
                          I am happy to keep it on but if it wasn't needed it would have been better removed. I am growing in my back garden and its a bit unsightly (Mrs Mountjoy from the womens institute has already mentioned some gardens are looking more like industrial estates), it makes watering harder and harvesting requires its removal, also the damn things have grown so high that they are bulging the mesh.

ps. I made Mrs Mountjoy up!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                            I am happy to keep it on but if it wasn't needed it would have been better removed. I am growing in my back garden and its a bit unsightly (Mrs Mountjoy from the womens institute has already mentioned some gardens are looking more like industrial estates), it makes watering harder and harvesting requires its removal, also the damn things have grown so high that they are bulging the mesh.

ps. I made Mrs Mountjoy up!
                            Shouldn't make any difference to watering😗, that's the point of mesh, let's water in but not insects and birds 😀

Comment

That may be so but there are still as many pigeons about and as greenery becomes scarcer, brassicas become more attractive

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X