Pumpkins in August!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkins in August!

Apologies if this has already been mentioned by fellow posters but I have just harvested my first pumpkin and we are still in August!

I was actually late this year in sowing and transplanting them but they have shot up in no time! Has any one else had a similar experience?

Here it is.....

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Attached Files

Pumpkin

Yes, me to, picked it a week or so ago

Attached Files
    Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 30-08-2014, 07:38 AM.
    DottyR

Comment

Everybody's have done the same down here....... they're smallish but early.

Comment

I currently have picked 8 with 9 still to ripen on the vines but I'd say they will be ready in a week or so!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I only had one of this variety, I'll have to'do' something with it, soup or pie, it keeps looking at me every time I go into the kitchen. The others are still on the vine.
          DottyR

Comment

I've got loads of Jack be little pumpkins getting riper by the moment. Any ideas what to do with them anyone?
            Nannys make memories

Comment

I grow Jack be little last year and this year, they are really nice roasted, you can roast them whole or cut into quarters, leave the skin on and pop in with the roast potatoes

Comment

my hundredweight pumpkins are looking ripe now ... I only have 2 as I have been removing the smaller ones

my winter squashes are already making flowers

Comment

Originally posted by treepixie View Post
                  I grow Jack be little last year and this year, they are really nice roasted, you can roast them whole or cut into quarters, leave the skin on and pop in with the roast potatoes
                  Thank you Treepixie
                  Nannys make memories

Comment

My first small sugar of the year will be ready to harvest in the next day or two . I thought it was a bit early. But really looking foreword to making pumpkin soup and sweet & spicy pumpkin seeds again this year
                    The best bit is I have another 8 of the little fellas coming along nicely

Comment

I've harvested one small potimarron, and it's roasting is much anticipated, but have totted up what has set and is ripening on the plot and there are at least another 20 assorted squash to come, and some are really big. I foresee a winter of trying all the squash recipes I can find.
                      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I've already harvested one tiny spaghetti squash, but sadly that looks like almost it! I've got one more spag squash about ready on another plant, one half sized Baby Bear about ready, and that looks like my lot from 6 plants!

There's nothing else part grown, the Jumbo Pink Banana which looked like it was going well suddenly stopped growing, then the fruit went squishy and fell off, and the other plants are producing male flowers or none at all.

Very disappointing.
                        My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
                          I've got loads of Jack be little pumpkins getting riper by the moment. Any ideas what to do with them anyone?
                          I grew them a few years ago, made a nice meal for two. Cut in half, scooped out the seeds, put a little bit of butter and garlic in the hole, roasted for about an hour. Then scooped out all the soft innards, mixed with graded cheese, chorizo, peas, mushrooms, chestnuts, peppers, whatever and put back in the skins. Back in the oven until the cheese had melted then eaten with a green salad. One if my favourite meals.

Originally posted by dim View Post
                          my winter squashes are already making flowers
                          Do you mean they're only just starting to flower? Sorry if I've misunderstood but if that is what you mean you'll not get any squashes this year as they need to already be a good size by now and not just the beautiful yellow flowers.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Alison, sounds yummy, I've got LOADS coming, will be giving them away methinks
                            Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
                              Thanks Alison, sounds yummy, I've got LOADS coming, will be giving them away methinks
                              They store well, seem to remember we were still eating them in about Feb time when we ran out so don't be too quick handing them out

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X