Kale Conundrum

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale Conundrum

Earlier this year I planted Tuscan Kale. It behaved as I expected until after I planted out. All the websites I have visited and books consulted say I should start harvesting during the winter, which was what U wanted. My plants however are going mad and have started harvesting already. Can anyone advise as to what have I done wrong?

Mine gets cut from September, it's a bit earlier this year because of the hot weather, it usually crops for months though.

If you want it to start later, then sow it later - You can still sow now if you want to

Comment

Hello & welcome

I have not grown this variety,but you quite possibly have done nothing wrong,it may be a good growing year for that plant in your area I believe Bren in Pots is growing the same/similar variety & am sure she said it was cropping.
      Doubtless someone with more kale knowledge than me will be along soon.
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
        Doubtless someone with more kale knowledge than me will be along soon.
        Or even faster than that Cheers Thelma you posted while I was still typing
        Last edited by bearded bloke; 13-08-2014, 11:34 AM.
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Tuscan kale is also known as Cavalo Nero. I've not planted mine yet (sown late to replace summer/autumn cabbages in the brassica cage!) but my neighbour's is also ready about 5 weeks after planting out.

Been a good year for growing!
          The proof of the growing is in the eating.
          Leave Rotten Fruit.
          Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
          Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
          Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

I plant mine out in early summer and let it grow on. Hardly crop at all until the autumn / winter as I don't really want it until then. It is a bit ahead of itself this year but it doesn't matter as it will keep going for ages.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Every year I sow my Black Kale in early March and pick a leaf or two from the plants as soon as they look a decent size, the plants keep on producing until around April the following year.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Wish I had that problem...none of mine germinated. There were no instructions on the packet but the RHS site, I think it was, said to sow half an inch deep. Seemed a bit deep to me but whadda I know. This was weeks ago. Nothing. I have just six seeds left. I'm gonna just cover lightly with soil next time and hope that does the trick.

Comment

Yasai sorry to hear you've had problems with yours, have a read here at the vines own growing guide it might be helpful :-

Growing Kale | How To Grow | Grow Your Own
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                    have a read here at the vines own growing guide it might be helpful :-

Growing Kale | How To Grow | Grow Your Own
                    Thanks Bren. I completely forgot there are growing guides on here...

Comment

Originally posted by thehistorian View Post
                      Earlier this year I planted Tuscan Kale.
                      How early?
                      Mine is sown April, planted out in July. It's perfectly normal for it to look "done" in late summer, then it sits all winter before going to seed the following spring. Winter crops do their growing in summer like everything else. Nothing much* actively grows during deep winter (it's too dark), but the "winter" crops are tough enough to survive and provide fresh veg.

Like others, I don't eat it until winter because there's so much salad available.

* except chickweed. That stuff grows & flowers all year round
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine has gone nuts this year. It's been available to harvest for about three weeks. I also have one purple sprouting broccoli that is already producing and they were not sown especially early. I've sowed more Kale on the basis that I can take baby leaves if necessary.
                        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          How early?
                          Mine is sown April, planted out in July. It's perfectly normal for it to look "done" in late summer, then it sits all winter before going to seed the following spring. Winter crops do their growing in summer like everything else. Nothing much* actively grows during deep winter (it's too dark), but the "winter" crops are tough enough to survive and provide fresh veg.

Like others, I don't eat it until winter because there's so much salad available.

* except chickweed. That stuff grows & flowers all year round
                          I just saw your post 2S and following one you made on another thread regarding PSB, I checked my diary to see if I had been a "bit previous" but I think it is just the year as far as I'm concerned, actually a bit annoying nearly resorted to buying some plants yesterday until I looked at the cost. I'll grow something else - definitely going to try huauzontle in the polytunnel over winter.

I've noted what you say about looking done so I will leave these plants and see what happens, I'm not short of stuff to eat, cheers.
                          Last edited by marchogaeth; 14-08-2014, 08:58 AM.
                          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X