Sweet corn.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet corn.

Spring of 2013 I put 300 pounds of cottonseed meal on my vegetable bed. This year I found out that was about 10 times what I should have used and that cottonseed meal is high in nitrogen. I didn't put any fertilizer down this spring.

I was rushed this spring after putting in tomatoes, bell peppers, okra, and bush beans. I planted about 2/3 of my garden with corn to finish my planting with no expectations of it being worth eating.

I've grown corn 3 or 4 times before and it never did well. Some was edible but the ears were small and never filled out with kernels.

Tonight I picked 10 of the most gorgeous ears of corn I could have imagined. We've bought corn from roadside stands before and those folks know how to grow corn. Tonight my corn was right up there with the quality, size, kernels, etc. of theirs. If you don't believe me you can ask my wife and son. They loved it.

This was the corn patch that was so overgrown with weeds a few weeks ago that I almost pulled up the corn with all the weeds just to clear out the mess.

My dinner tonight was corn on the cob and fresh tomatoes both from my vegetable bed. All the work was worth it.

Now I'm going to have to eat corn about every night and give corn away to my kids and their families. We may have enough to put some in the freezer for winter.

I'm very pleased with it and it really turned out well due to an error on my part.
    Last edited by DWSmith; 31-07-2014, 02:08 AM.
    Nutter's Club member.

Never heard of cottonseed meal, don't think it's something we use in the UK. What is it?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Good for you, I am growing corn this year and am swelling with pride over them. Enjoy
      Nannys make memories

Comment

Any piccies DWS?

Alison...
        Cottonseed meal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Cottonseed Meal (50 Lb)
        ( yeh...I'd never heard of it either! )
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

DWS - good for you! It's always lovely when a mistake ends in a triumph!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            Any piccies DWS?

Alison...
            Cottonseed meal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            Cottonseed Meal (50 Lb)
            ( yeh...I'd never heard of it either! )
            Thanks, was on my phone earlier so not really able to Google and now you've done the work for me

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DWSmith
              On that second link it's showing a riduculously expensive price for cottonseed meal. I might have paid $12 each for my 50lb bags. Shop around if you are considering buying some. Feed stores should either already have it or can order it. You can also use soy bean meal. And I can't think of it right now but there's another seed meal that's good (rape/canola seed?).
              Not sure we could get it cheap here, don't think it's something we can easily source, same would go for soy bean meal.

Comment

Interesting because this year I packed my sweetcorn plot with nitrogen in the form of Chicken poo, and miracle grow slow release beads, I too have the best corn I've ever had. There was however alot of greenery emerging from where the cobs develop and I had to trim this back to allow the silks to emerge in time for pollenation.
                Hussar!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X