Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Why is my PSB producing broccoli now and what should I do?

Some varieties do produce spears in the summer, have you bought one of those? If not then it's probably stressed and all you can really do is eat it and enjoy

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

... or you've planted it too early. Mine is still 3" high and in modules, waiting for space on the lotty
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Mine have a spear, is it too late to sow some more?

Comment

Yeah, it is really. You might pick some plants up at the garden centre ~ our B n Q had lots of veg seedlings at half price this weekend
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Be guided by the packet as to whether it is too late to sow more - there are various different varieties. I have spears on mine which were sown last year, produced some spears in the spring and then when I was about to pull them out I noticed a lot of new leafy growth. They have provided a few small spears and are still doing so but I fear they are about to be demolished by caterpillars as they are not protected.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              ... or you've planted it too early. Mine is still 3" high and in modules, waiting for space on the lotty
              Mine's not planted out yet but probably will be next weekend. I sow it in April usually but this year accidentally composted the seedlings when I was having a clear out of stuff I didn't need so had to scrounge some plants this year from somebody with spares. Luckily there is usually somebody with a few extras.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've just sown some calabrese (Beaumont F1) which says it can be sown until the end of June (so only a week late ). Once I've picked the main head, I'm hoping I'll get a few sideshoots too. My Grow Food in Your Polytunnel book says you can sow sprouting broccoli in August to overwinter and get an early crop next year - but you'd need to check the variety I guess. You could also sow kohl rabi and leave them until they run to seed instead of eating the root - they throw up loads of really tender and delicious shoots not unlike sprouting broccoli, and can be sown until July. You'll also find that your current broccoli spears freeze well if you want to keep them for later in the year .
                sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X