Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolting Pak Choi...

why?

Planted too early perhaps, or that dry spell followed by the very wet spell.

Would like to know if its something I can avoid in the future.

Is this a common problem or should I take offence.

Thank you!
    Bex

Well it has happened to me, and I have read about it.

Pak Choi (and particularly the small ones, I believe) don't "stand" particularly well so it's best to pick them sooner rather than later. Both heat and lack of water can cause them to bolt.

Often, books advise sowing oriental brassicas (to be grown to mature plants) later in the year. If you are sowing them for young leaves, it doesn't matter.

The are not really difficult to grow, but in my experience they have a sensitive side.

The good thing is that they are fairly quick - so you can get on and sow some more right now!

Comment

Oh, by the way, I think you can still eat them when they bolt - I can't remember if I tried them, but do experiment.

Comment

Thanks Cutecumber, I was going to pull the whole lot up tomorrow evening (if it doesn't rain). I'll throw a few leaves in a stirfry to see how they taste.
        Bex

Comment

It's frustrating, I know, but I reckon you'll get some use from them.

Temperate and moist is best for Pak Choi and Chinese Cabbage both. I've just read that they have very shallow roots (unlike the other brassicas) which is part of the problem - don't let them dry out. It also says that cold temperatures in the early stages, dryness and transplanting can make them bolt.

Comment

When you say pick them sooner rather than later Cutecumber, how big should they be? Mine are doing very well in the polytunnel but I was wondering when to pick them. Its my first year of growing them and I've never seen them in the shops here.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie, if it looks good -pick it and enjoy it at it's best.

Comment

Jennie, it's my first year of growing them too. You can cut them any size you like. It's just what size will give you a picking.
                My early ones were wonderful. The ones I have now look as if they are going to seed. But the variety is different - early Mei qing choy, now Cantong white. More Mei Qing Choi coming up so see how that goes.
                I think I read somewhere - maybe here - that Pak Choi does best early and late. Will see how that goes.
                After this year will be older and wiser.
                Any Grapes know more ?
                Last edited by Alice; 07-06-2007, 08:56 PM.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Can anyone post a pick of a Pak Choi when it is ready to pick? It would be very helpful.

We had some when we were visiting family in Essex recently, and they were stir fried. But they seemed quite "chunky" little things (they were bought!), and mine are no where near that stage yet.
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Thats exactly it Jennie, mine were nowhere near the size you get in the shops so was surprised when they bolted. If only I'd have known I'd have harvested long ago.

You're right a picture would be useful if anyone has one?
                    Bex

Comment

Don't have a photo but the heart is about the size of your clenched fist. Definitely a cool season crop -which is probably why they have bolted. The variety I grew, you could cut heart and they would re-sprout baby leaf.

You could pick some outside leaves perhaps. Silly question,RU sure that they are not supposed to sprout? If i remember right there was both sorts in Hong-Kong and the name was similar(to me anyway).

Comment

Alice had a photo with a bed of her early pak choi I think. Part of the problem is that we call them all pak choi and the varieties are very varied. The one I'm growing (can't remember, silver haired moment!) seems to make a dumpy little plant and I'm not waiting for it to shoot any higher! The pak choi in my mixed leaves (in a seed tray) is the first and so far only thing to go to seed which I suspect is as a response to stress - being close together, competing etc. They do seem to be a bit sensitive compared to other salad leaves. I have been using them though. I've not actually let them flower, just eaten them with buds. When they do flower (the tray I gave my daughter & family had a bit left when they were on holiday) they are yellow, like oilseed rape - they'll be related.
                        I think the answer is to use them young.
                        Last edited by Flummery; 08-06-2007, 08:31 AM.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I think my pak choi are looking a bit off too. They are only at the 4 leaf stage, very small still but the actual stems seem to have gotten very spindly and too long for the rest of the plant. Does that means they have bolted?

I am still a bit confused by the bolting thing. I do have another lot just coming up now so all is not lost but these ones aren't looking too happy.

C

Comment

When they have bolted they throw out a flower shoot. Maybe you just need to earth up your plants a bit - scoop the soil around them.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Ahhh ok! Thanks Flummery. I am still getting used to the terminology!

C

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X