Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know when gooseberries are ready? When can I move gooseberry bush?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know when gooseberries are ready? When can I move gooseberry bush?

Hi, the guy on the plot next to our allotment has given it up but he has a mass of gooseberries that are for whoever picks them first... How do I know when ready? They seem to be growing faster/earlier than most others on the allotments nearby &some I tasted today seemed fine. Would they be ready now?

Also when is the earliest I could move the bush without doing it much damage? I've been told that I can have the bushes if I move them but I don't want to cause damage to the bushes....

Thanks

I pick my gooseberries when they are still hard and pretty sour, but do it weekly over about three weeks, leaving fruit smaller than a twenty pence piece. Thinning out the bushes in this way encourages the remaining berries to expand a bit more. Others prefer to leave the fruit until they've softened a bit and are significantly sweeter, although, eventually, they start to rot on the branch, if the blackbirds don't move in.

Comment

Pigeons are tucking into mine, the blackbirds prefer my raspberries!
      I've started picking the bigger fruit already. They are still hard and a little sour though perfect for gooseberry curd.

Comment

If you think they taste OK then pick them now.
        The longer you leave them the sweeter they will get.

If you puck the picked fruit in a paper bag and leave it somewhere dark in the house they will continue to sweeten. The paper bag keeps the fruit flies off them

I seem to recall they don't like having their roots disturbed, so take as much rootball as you can with it.

I don't know much about fruit bushes but I would think it'd be better to leave it until the leaves have dropped off, but I think you are pressed for time?
        Not sure if pruning it would help it prior to moving????
        Last edited by Nicos; 17-06-2014, 07:23 AM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I give them a good soak the day before and then dig up and move it to where I want it(after picking the fruit of course) and a good soak after replanting, I prune out unwanted shoots but no more and never had any problems so far, plants want to thrive so I give them what they need and let them get on with it, its a waste of time mollycoddling any plant, it just makes them soft so just give them the essentials and stand back to let them grow.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X