French beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French beans

Is anyone else having poor germination? I've got 2 wigwams and I've sown twice, I've still only got 5 seedlings I've run out of seeds now.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    Bex

I've sown under glass. French climbing beans (Blue Lake) all came up. Dwarf French (Speedy), about 2 have come up and then rotted !!!!!
    Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Comment

my french beans sown in greenhouse are slow to germinate managed to plant out around 10 another 10 or so nearly ready

Comment

It may be too early still?We've had some cold damp nights recently.

I've only just sown mine in a warmer raised bed.
        Last edited by Nicos; 26-05-2014, 02:32 PM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It helps if you chit them first indoors. You can 100% germination that way (or close to it). Then pot them up and raise them indoors until it's nice enough out to put them in the open ground. Also helps as young seedlings in the ground can disappear over night, thanks to slugs. Larger plants raised indoors can survive a bit of nibblage.

Comment

I did try starting off indoors but got fed up as they didn't germinate indoors either. I had better success with the dwarves indoors but still only about 60%. I had no problem a couple of years ago and can't think what I'm doing different.

I might even have to go garden centre and buy some plants which I usually refuse to do out of principle.

Last edited by Bex; 26-05-2014, 02:49 PM.
            Bex

Comment

What type of seeds are they? Are they new? Is there a best before date on the packet? Try Cobra if you can find them. 5 plants would give you more than you can use.
              How did you try start them indoors - I chit mine by soaking them in water for 12 hours or so, then placing them on some damp kitchen towel on a saucer, which I cover with cling film. I place it somewhere warm in the house but out of direct sunshine and make sure the paper stays damp. Usually have them germinated and planted in compost within a week. They are showing through within another week.

Comment

Mine sown directly a good few weeks back are just "Rearing their Heads!"

Not 100% as yet! But still time!
                Attached Files
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I have just sown again. This time in pots. Maybe I was too early last time or the slugs got them…as they did with my radishes and spinach.

Comment

Originally posted by redser View Post
                    What type of seeds are they? Are they new? Is there a best before date on the packet? Try Cobra if you can find them. 5 plants would give you more than you can use.
                    How did you try start them indoors -
                    They were cobra that my dad bought this year from kings. My mum then announced she didn't like French beans so I had them. You'd think he'd know after 40 odd years marriage lol.

I started in a module tray.

Bex

Comment

Hi

Started off both blue lake beans and lady DI runner beans off in peat pots in greenhouse for past two years and have had a great return, however this year I also lost some of my climbing beans blue lake and when split the peat pot they seemed to have rotted off but I quickly planted some more and they are fine.

I also experienced rotten courgette seed for the first time, however planted others and they are already ready to be planted

Happy gardening

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

I do mine indoors like this.
                        Wet some layers of newspaper, put on a tray. Spread beans out on top, cover with more wetted paper.
                        Keep moist by trickling a little water round the beans each day until you see them swell and sprout,then transfer to pots, roots down, (four in each is a good number) and plant out when about 4-6 inches tall.
                        This way you can see which have sprouted and are worth using.
                        Harden off before you plant out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bex View Post
                          They were cobra that my dad bought this year from kings. My mum then announced she didn't like French beans so I had them. You'd think he'd know after 40 odd years marriage lol.
                          I started in a module tray.
                          After 40 years of marriage the poor love is expected to forget thing from time to time... Now, what was I doing?????
                          Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
                            After 40 years of marriage the poor love is expected to forget thing from time to time... Now, what was I doing?????
                            Have you been married a while? I tried it once and didn't like it lol

Bex

Comment

I've had the same problem Bex and I too haven't done anything differently. I've sown 4 different types of dwarf French and only half germinated and the other half that have look decidely poorly! I planted some of the bigger ones out a couple of weeks ago, but the snugs got to them, so I may have to start again.
                              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X