Parsnips!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnips!

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm looking to plant some parsnips in containers. I don't have any other place to do them, and I am aware that it's not ideal for them.

I'm planning to sow direct in the next few days, (I know I'm a bit late, I'm aiming for Christmas )

My question is, I have in the garage,

Some general B&Q/ john Innes 3 type MPC

Some bagged peat-free topsoil

Some horticultural sand

Gravel for the bottom of the container

Bone meal

potash,

Is there a specific ratio I should be using of these? I've done a search but most of the posts relate to growing in the ground, or growing in barrels for show, neither if which really relate to me.

Thanks very much for any help

Hello RD & welcome to the vine. I personally don't bother with ratios. My Parsnip bed this year composes of 50% MPC 50% Sand.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Welcome to the vine. Make sure that your tubs are deep enough, even late sown parsnips can get At least 2feet long, and that is just the edible bit!
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Mine were just sown in multipurpose compost last year, and did very well

Comment

Thankyou for your replies!

Do you have any container recommendations? I've searched the other threads, but not found anything definite.

I'm only wanting parsnips about the length of supermarkets ones, maybe a bit thicker.

Think about buying a black bin, but not sure how far apart to space them inside it?

Comment

Flower buckets if you can get hold of any spaced about 3" apart.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Mine were in deep patio grow bags

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                Hello RD & welcome to the vine. I personally don't bother with ratios. My Parsnip bed this year composes of 50% MPC 50% Sand.
                What type of sand do you use BM?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post

Comment

I sowed my 'arrow' parsnips into one of those big green bendy bucket things.

A mix of compost, sand and topsoil...

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post

The recommendation is Silver Sand but I use anything I can lay my hands on.

Comment

Cheers BM...I have a couple of bags of sand over from when we had the driveway done...Just says kiln dried on the bag so found a use for it now!

Comment

I've grown carrots in leftover builder's sand

Comment

Thank you VC

Comment

Hi RD! n welcomes from this end too!

Same as BM and AIC, no fancy mixtures of soil n conglomerates!

Good old MPC with a mixture of any old sand, only to keep the soil loose n free draining, parsnips being a root, don't wanna be sat in soggy soil, and you being further north, you can put at least two weeks on sowing dates specified on the packet!

Regarding container's to grow em in! any! depends how big ya want em to be!
                              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X