Could I plant apples in pots while the allotment ground gets better

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I plant apples in pots while the allotment ground gets better

I have just bought two apple trees to put in my new allotment.

At £3.99 each at Aldi, it was a bargain not to be left.

The trouble is, my allotment is very water logged at the moment, so not very good for planting.

Would it be sensible for me to pop the two trees in decent sized planters (12" diameter) and leave them there until the soil improves ?

I might even leave them until they start growing, which will let then create a root ball in the pots, meaning less disturbance when planting out.

thank you for any advice provided.

The trees can be potted for now - ordinary garden soil would be best so as not to scorch the roots with rich compost.
    Keep them outdoors - ideally in a cold, sunless, shady area - to delay their emergence from dormancy which will give more time for your plot to dry out.

If the plot still doesn't dry out, keep them in pots until it does. If saturated soil on your plot is likely to be a regular problem; when the time comes to plant the trees don't plant them in a hole - place them on the soil surface and pile soil over their roots so they're effectively planted in a mound, with most of their roots above any standing water (and especially keeping the lower trunk above the water to avoid crown rot).

Comment

Keep them in pots temporarily. It is probably best to plant the trees on the plot before they come out of dormancy. If that is not possible, then I would be inclined to leave them in the pots all summer and try again in the autumn. In other words don't try to plant them out over the summer.

Comment

Would the same advice apply to the cherry and pear trees Aldi were selling? I got over excited and bought two apple, one cherry and one pear.

Comment

Originally posted by lazyrolla View Post
          Would the same advice apply to the cherry and pear trees Aldi were selling? I got over excited and bought two apple, one cherry and one pear.
          Yes - if your ground is saturated pot them up (or heel them in if anywhere is suitable) and wait a while before planting-out.

Comment

Even in this area (where the soil is sandy/free-draining and rainfall usually very little) the ground has been too heavy to work in the last couple of months.

I have a lot of tree transplanting and related jobs still to do and the unusually mild winter (so far) means spring is fast approaching; I may have to abandon many of my plans.
            Snowdrops and aconites have been flowering for a few weeks. Crocus are coming into flower now, as are the first daffodils.
            At this rate, my fruit trees will probably blossom soon - several weeks early and I may have fresh apples and pears ready to eat as early as late June!

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
              Yes - if your ground is saturated pot them up (or heel them in if anywhere is suitable) and wait a while before planting-out.
              What is 'heel in'?

Comment

What is 'heel in'?
                Dig a shallow hole, lay the tree on its side with the roots in the hole, then shovel the soil loosely over the roots.
                Alternatively, lay the tree(s) on the ground and mound soil over the roots.

Do not firm-down the soil - leave it loose.

It's just a way of storing trees for many weeks during winter if the soil at their planting site is frozen or waterlogged. The roots are in soil to protect them from drying out and from light damage (roots don't like daylight on them) but the loose soil makes it quick and easy to get the tree(s) out again when soil conditions are suitable for planting.

But if the soil where you'll be "heeling in" is waterlogged, the trees won't like it and would be best heeled-in elsewhere, or planted in pots.

This winter is unusual in how persistently wet the soil has been.
                Last edited by FB.; 13-02-2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I've been to B&M and bought some giant pots as the ground is waterlogged in my garden and it is forecast to rain non stop for at least a week. If the pot is big enough could the trees live in the pots for ever?

Comment

If the pot is big enough could the trees live in the pots for ever?
                    Yes, but remember that in summer potted plants need huge amounts of water because they cannot send roots deep or wide to find what they need - water tends to drain downwards soon after watering and the hot sunshine (and warm air) on the pots warms them up and increases evaporation.

Comment

If Weather is good tomorrow I plan on planting mine. Its been non stop rain but not to boggy in the place i want to plant them as it has been covered. Good luck on ur Trees. .

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

In the end I have planted the trees in large pots (well planters really). I also put in large plastic bin bags first (holes pricked of course)

If the trees stay long enough and start to grow a root ball would hopefully hold the soil / compost together and prevent too much 'root stress' The plastic would help if I plant early, ie in the final spot on my allotment, by holding the soil together. Cutting away plastic would be easier than trying to remove a pot, when in the hole.

I'll take a picture of the trees as I want to ask about pruning ... but that'll be another posting

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
                          Yes, but remember that in summer potted plants need huge amounts of water because they cannot send roots deep or wide to find what they need - water tends to drain downwards soon after watering and the hot sunshine (and warm air) on the pots warms them up and increases evaporation.
                          I had potted apples but found that the pots became top heavy when laden with fruit and also were a bugger to keep watered.
                          The pots can also freeze soild in winter which can't be good for the plant.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X