No announcement yet.

Who's over wintering their chillies ??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's over wintering their chillies ??

As above .
    I brought my Wenks yellow, Jalapeneo and Cayenne in the other day gave them a hard prune,with the idea to keep them in the cooler unheated part of the house.

Just decided to do a little reading up on this, ( you'd think i'd do it before ...naw ) only to discover capsicum annuum varieties are a bit of a blighter to over winter and that the Capsicum pubescens over winter much better.

Has anyone every managed to over winter their Chilies if so could you share Varieties

Previously I have over wintered Bulgarian Carrot, Filius Blue, Super Chili, Prairie Fire. I cut them back hard and put them on a windowsill. Let them dry out between watering

Comment

Going to try with about 8-10.

Comment

I am going to give it a go with a few too...Think I have a self saved Anaheim, Satan's Kiss and Habanero...Not too fussed if they don't make it......
        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
        sigpic

Comment

I've got 2 Scotch bonnets that have just started their 3rd winter, like others have said I give them a prune then only water if they're dry.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've got three Cayennes sitting on the kitchen table (no windowsills). Will just have to see what happens.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

My first year at over wintering chillis. Got lots of varieties ranging from scotch bonnets to Bhut joloka, chocolate habanero to lemon drop and lots more.

Got a cold conservatory with little, if any heating. Fingers crossed :-)
              Please visit my facebook page for the garden i look after

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonRockGarden

Comment

I'm having a go with my Prairie Fires, they're still flowering and sitting pretty on a warm kitchen window sill so here's hoping

Comment

mine were cut back a few weeks ago, and are now in the hallway:

1 x bengal naga
                  2 x paper lantern
                  2 x hab orange
                  2 x red savina

and 1 x fairy light which I actually got through last winter.

Comment

Mine came in from the GH on Sunday.

One's grown this year:
                    1 x Cayenne
                    1 x Gusto Purple
                    1 x Golden cherry
                    1 x Super Chilli
                    1 x Mazzetti (I think!)

One's grown last year and overwintered once already:
                    1 x Jalapeno
                    1 x Bishop's Crown
                    1 x Red Cherry
                    1 x Facing Heaven

Chopped back (I don't like risking aphids if I leave the leaves on!) and dug up from the GH borders they are now all in the spare bedroom on a table by the window.

Finger's crossed again!

The twiggy looking things on their way from GH to spare room via kitchen:
                    Attached Files
                    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I've not cut mine back yet there's still a couple of Scotch bonnets I'm hoping are going to ripen.

Comment

I did a check a few weeks ago, and every one of my chilli plants is not recommended for over-wintering. I figure that as the pots will lay empty anyway, I might as well give it a go!
                        The Idiot Gardener - Trying to make the Five Acres of Idiocy a fruitful journey!

Comment

Whats peoples views on overwintering Cayenne plants? Is it worth the effort as they have a quick growing pace anyway? Or will I get more fruit next summer by overwintering them?

Comment

Cobra if your plants are looking healthy and you've a spare window sill to put them on then I'd overwinter them because you've nothing to lose but a bit of time and space.

Comment

Ive got 3 sweet peppers, still fruiting, and a Lemn Drop chilli on a table in front of the dining room window. They can stay there as long as they don't get the dreaded fungus gnats, like they did last year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X