Jerusalem Artichokes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerusalem Artichokes

Someone gave me just 2 tubers last autumn, and they have down very well (I think), now about 10 ft and have just flowered. They aren't staked, and have survived the winds etc. I know nothing about them at all, not even sure I like them, but when to harvest ? Any advice, ( no jokes please! ) I'm aware of their reputation !

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
    DottyR

Dorothy I've grown them for the last few years sometimes I get a better harvest than other times, in one of my Alys Fowler books she recommends you add Winter savoury when cooking its supposed to help combat their windy effects.

According to RHS you harvest them from late autumn onwards :-

Jerusalem artichoke / RHS Gardening
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Wait until the leaves have yellowed and died back - at least the end of October - so that all their goodness drains back into the tubers. When they have died back, you can cut down the stems, but leave six inches or so, then you can still find them.

Leave the tubers in the soil until you want to eat them, and just dig up enough for each meal as you need it,because they store better left in the ground. If you need to dig up the lot, perhaps the best way of storing would be like carrots, in damp sand, but I've never tried it.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        Dorothy I've grown them for the last few years sometimes I get a better harvest than other times, in one of my Alys Fowler books she recommends you add Winter savoury when cooking its supposed to help combat their windy effects.

According to RHS you harvest them from late autumn onwards :-

Jerusalem artichoke / RHS Gardening
        Ooh, thanks for that tip Bren - I often put fennel seeds in, but it does change the flavour a bit.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

i do what mothhawk says ...but dont forget that they will spread so only leave a few behind.
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

In my experience they don't store, they go soft in a day, better to leave them in the ground and dig them up as needed. They can become a problem as they spread so easily and even the tiniest tuber left in the ground sprouts the following year.
            "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

I dig mine up about xmas when the grounds not too frozen and store them in a bucket of old potting compost until needed.
              I scrub and slice them into wheels and have them deep fried with steak.
              Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

what month did you plant them? i ordered some off the net & planted last autumn, saw no evidence of them growing though . I did grow them another time in a much lighter spot though

Comment

Best time for planting is spring, but I find they will grow anywhere any time. mine at about 10 foot high.
                  Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
                    Best time for planting is spring, but I find they will grow anywhere any time. mine at about 10 foot high.
                    Yes mine are also about that tall, and have just flowered,think they went in last winter, can't really remember, someone gave them to me, and I didn't think they'd grow!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum
                    DottyR

Comment

I bought mine from morrisons - they're huge and one has a flower bud on.

Comment

I've dug up all the Jerusalem artichokes today, didn't intend to, but was wanting to get the bed sorted, anyway, is it an idea to save and replant a couple of the tubers for next year? Do you have to dry them or anything before replanting?
                        DottyR

Comment

Dorothy I just plant a couple back in the ground and leave them to it.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                            Dorothy I just plant a couple back in the ground and leave them to it.
                            You don't even have to do that if you're a bit of a slack Alice like me and haven't done a proper job in getting every single tuber out the ground. I can't get rid of the darn things - they come back every year to haunt me!

Comment

Oh thank you Bren, I've been trying to delete that post, as realise, it's been commented on previously, but can't seem to delete it on iPad.

I think I have got them all out as only had 2 tubers in the first place, got far more than I thought I would, soup making tomorrow
                              DottyR

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X