Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• figs....

ummmm............
    some kind soul has bought some lovely ripe ones into work, well i've never tasted a fresh fig and well i'm not that impressed are they better cooked or is it just me?
    If they are better cooked has anybody got some good recipes?

cheers

I eat mine straight from the tree! Are you sure they're fully ripe? They can be a bit dry otherwise.

Comment

definately ripe- felt a bit squishy, just not sure they're for me.... hey not everyone likes everything

Comment

Figs need to have almost dropped off the tree before they are worth eating. The bests ones I ever tasted had actually dropped off a tree and been cooking on a hot Spanish pavement before I scooped them up.
        "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Figs wrapped in bacon are delicious. Can't go wrong with bacon Bacon-Wrapped Figs - Easy Fig Appetizer Recipe

Comment

Unless you're a veggie ^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
              Figs need to have almost dropped off the tree before they are worth eating. The bests ones I ever tasted had actually dropped off a tree and been cooking on a hot Spanish pavement before I scooped them up.
              That doesn't sound quite as appetising as I expect you hoped!!!

I was given a dozen figs today by one of my neighbours, I'm not sure what to do either. Whenever I think of figs I see those biscuit wrapped things that are ghastly.

Are figs like marmite, or is marmite made out of figs?
              I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Best fig product I have ever had was home made fig jam when I was in Australia. Helped my Aunt pick them, and a few days later had the jam on home made scones with whipped cream. Mmmm Mmmm. My Aunt moved back to the uk in later years and would buy a box of figs off the market when they were cheap to make jam for me, still my favorite jam to this day when I can get it. Now have fig trees, but not enough crop to make jam yet, maybe next year!

Comment

Get yourself some parma ham. Cut a cross in the top of the fig and squeeze so it opens out. Drape your ham round the figs. Make a vinaigrette with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and a dollop of honey. Drizzle this over the ham and figs and enter heaven!

Comment

I make a lot of jam, for Xmas pressies etc, and the one that gets the most requests is Fig & Raspberry. You need 6 ripe figs to 1lb raspberries, 600g sugar (sorry about mixed measures!) and about 300ml water, depending on 'squishy-ness of berries & figs. Simmer the fruit with water until it starts to look a bit like a puree, add sugar (I usually warm it in the oven to dissolve quicker). Then just quick boil until setting point, as usual with jams. Enjoy Makes about 4 to 5 250ml jars.

Comment

Fig tart - shortcrust base, figs halved and placed cut side up on the base, and topped with frangipane. Yummy.
                      Still waiting for our neighbour's figs to ripen. He's off for the vendange soon and we hope the figs will stay on the tree until he goes
                      Last edited by PyreneesPlot; 21-09-2013, 01:50 PM.
                      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

A pot of fig chutney was delivered this morning I'm hoping that the Cook will share his recipe with you ............Thanks CG

Comment

Originally posted by BionicBarb View Post
                          I make a lot of jam, for Xmas pressies etc, and the one that gets the most requests is Fig & Raspberry. You need 6 ripe figs to 1lb raspberries, 600g sugar (sorry about mixed measures!) and about 300ml water, depending on 'squishy-ness of berries & figs. Simmer the fruit with water until it starts to look a bit like a puree, add sugar (I usually warm it in the oven to dissolve quicker). Then just quick boil until setting point, as usual with jams. Enjoy Makes about 4 to 5 250ml jars.
                          That sounds great, should be able to gather enough figs to make a small batch of this, cant wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

mmmm, I can imagine the jam being quite nice will have to try that if some more appear in the fridge! Might have to try figs and ham I'm guessing the whole of them will change the taste........I'll give it a go, I do like to try new things thanks folks!

Comment

Pyrenees plot, can you post your frangipane recipe? Your tart sounds wonderful.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X