Peaches - in tropical Essex!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peaches - in tropical Essex!

The Peach Tree in the back garden has excelled itself this year, after a measly four fruit last year - I got one, thanks to the Wasps. This is this year's haul - well, the ones I can reach without getting on the Garage roof! The £1 coin is for comparison.
    Attached Files
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

They look amazing!

I have recently been toying with the idea of a fig tree in the garden... now I'm tempted by peach too!
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I'm looking forward to my glut of one peach this year.................
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Well! Mr.G has just called in to get some lunch, so he shinned up the ladder to get the Peaches above the Garage roof - another TEN!

Bumper harvest - more than made up for last year, I reckon. Just scoffed one, too - deeeelish, and I'm covered in juice now - not a wise idea before an afternoon's gardening, so I'm off for a wash!
        Last edited by Glutton4...; 21-08-2013, 11:36 AM.

Comment

nice!
          i planted a peach tree last year .... then a couple of months ago all the leaves curled and half have died .... looks like blight, not sure if it's killed the tree .... i should have sprayed it with bordeax mixture from january ....
          http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

@Farmer Gyles: It wil be peach leaf curl, Give it a spray with copper fungicide or bordeaux mix, it will be fine probably , you need to spray them to stop it , it nearly always happens

I have trees in Bulgaria that have never been sprayed, some look really bad keep loosing leaves but still fruit and keep growing , Ive sprayed some near the house and they are fine

My best UK tree lost all its leaves this year, and many small branches as I didnt bother spraying, now its fine again loads of new growth and perfect leaves, a few fruit , I keep planning on spraying it....I havent so it will probably loose its leaves again
            Last edited by starloc; 21-08-2013, 04:25 PM.
            Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Originally posted by starloc View Post
              @Farmer Gyles: It wil be peach leaf curl, Give it a spray with copper fungicide or bordeaux mix, it will be fine probably , you need to spray them to stop it , it nearly always happens
              wish i'd known that last year when i planted it - i'd have looked after it! maybe ....
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

This had leaf curl earlier in the year, so I kind of ignored it, thinking it wouldn't fruit. How wrong was I?

Comment

crikey ..more peaches than on mine - think we had about 10 altogether.And we are so much further south ...
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

wow, that's amazing G4! I lost a tree due to curl, so have that Avalon Pride (I think?) on order now.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                      wow, that's amazing G4! I lost a tree due to curl, so have that Avalon Pride (I think?) on order now.
                      I planted a two year old Avalon pride last winter but have lost all this years growth due to cutting back leaf curl.
                      The nursery that I got it from where touting it as leaf Curl resistant. Maybe they mislabled my tree?
                      I have sprayed it a couple of times with Dithane fungicide but it didn't seem to make any difference. I'll try Bordeux next.

Comment

Interesting, thanks digon - I can't remember where I've ordered mine from, may have been blackmoor. I'll have to dig the email out.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                          This had leaf curl earlier in the year, so I kind of ignored it, thinking it wouldn't fruit. How wrong was I?
                          How old is your tree G4?
                          I didn't realise garden peach trees would be as productive as yours has been.

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                            I had a crop of about 10 from my Avalon Pride this year. Bought it as a two year old, so this has been its third year.

Not to dishearten you, but I didn't think too much to the flavour - it was incredibly watery. Whether that's because I didn't thin, fertilise or prune effectivly, I don't know, but their beautiful orangey-ruby apperance belied their true flavour.

Hopefully it is because the tree is young and next year more of a flavour will be present. I'm not sure whether this is common amongst all fruit trees: i.e., they need a few years of growing fruit for a full flavour to form.
                            Garden Chris

Comment

I've no idea how old it is. It's the height of the garage, and with quite a wide canopy. It has both a rose and honeysuckle to compete with, and could probably do with a prune, as the lower branches reach the ground.

Just trying to work out what do do with the fruit - it's rotting before my eyes, so I'm salvaging what I can, and the chooks are getting the rest!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X