Cherries in wine or alcohol

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherries in wine or alcohol

Well, it's that time of the year when the cherries are getting ready to pick - have taken three kilos from my first fruiting tree this week and about 2 kilos from chums yesterday.

Has anybody got any ideas about cherries in alcohol? Have made cherries in gin a couple of years ago, still have some and wonderful now and last year cherries gently poached in kirsch and then put into jars.

Any other ideas?
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Morning Tony,
    Have a couple of recipies for cherry brandy,whisky and wine if you're interested? Although the recipie states morello cherries i don't know how it would work out? Have only ever made elderberry and sloe wine myself.Also have one for cherry syrup that can be diluted or poured over ice cream.Mmmmm sounds good.
    Netty

Comment

The cherry syrup sounds wonderful, would love that one please. I already have a recipe for cherries in wine and cherry brandy, thanks all the same.
      TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Hello Tony,sorry its late just got up after doing a night shift! The recipie i have is taken from Home Made Wines and Drinks by Marguerite Patten.

1)Put the fruit into tne top of a double saucepan or basin over hot water, adding the water if required.Press down the fruit to squash it well and cook for about 1 hour until all of the juice is extracted.Press down during cooking.
        2)Strain through a jelly bag,or through several thicknesses of muslin over a fine sieve.
        3)Measure the juice and add sugar,allowing approx 8oz sugar to 1 pint juice,heat together until sugar is dissolved,stirring well during this time. Do not continue boiling when sugar has dissolved.
        4)Pour the syrup into bottling jars or use cordial bottles with well fitting screw tops,which should have been boiled before using.
        5)Allow syrup to cool in the bottles, which should not be quite filled.
        6)Stand them in a steriliser or deep pan with a rack at the bottom,or several layers of cloth or paper.
        7)Loosen screw bands half turn,then take 1 hour to bring water to simmering (170f). Retain for 30 mins for large jars or bottles,or 20 mins for smaller ones.
        8)Lift out carefully,stand on a wooden surface and tighten scew bands.
        9)Tie adhesive tape round the corks or caps of cordial bottles.

Fruit cordials can be used diluted with water,soda or milk for milkshakes,or poured over ice cream.

Hope this is of some use to you
        Netty

Comment

hi germinator.any chance i could have those recipes for cherry brandy whiskey and wine.have tonnes of cherries and dont know what to do with them all.thanks

Comment

Cherries in brandy

Here are a couple of ideas from "Preserving" by Cordon Bleu:

large, firm, ripe morello cherries
            lump sugar
            brandy

Cut the stalks off the cherries to within 1/2" of the fruit. Prick the cherries all over with a needle and pack into clean, dry jars. Layer the cherries with 1 rounded tablespoon of crushed lump sugar between each layer of fruit. Cover with brandy and seal the jar making sure that it is airtight. Leave for 4 - 6 months to mature.

OR

large, firm, ripe morello cherries
            granulated, or preserving sugar
            water
            brandy

Prepare fruit as above. Make a syrup using 1lb sugar to 2 pints water. Bring the water slowly to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, skim if necessary. When it becomes clear, add the cherries a few at a time. Leave for 1 - 2 minutes and then remove with a draining spoon before adding next batch. Remove cherries before the skins start to split.
            Spread the cherries on a plate to cool.
            Measure out 1 pint of the syrup and add a further 2lb sugar. Allow to dissolve. Boil quickly to the thread stage (216F). Leave to cool and strain through muslin.
            Pack the cherries carefully into wide necked jars. Measure the syrup and add an equal quantity of brandy. Mix well and pour into the jars making sure the fruit is covered.
            Screw down the lids and store for 4 - 6 months.

I havent tried the above but have done peaches in brandy - delicious!

Bernie
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Cherry conserve

Another Cordon Bleu recipe:

4lb cherries (they suggest black ones)
              2 1/4lb granulated or preserving sugar
              1 rounded teaspoon citric acid or 1/4pt lemon juice

Stone the cherries, crack about 24 of the stones and blanch kernels. Put cherries in a bowl with kernels and sugar and leave overnight.
              Barely cover rest of stones with water, boil for 30 - 40 minutes and strain. Reserve the water, add to the cherries with the citric acid or lemon juice and bring slowly to the boil. Boil hard for 30 minutes until the jam sets when tested. Turn into dry, warm jars, cover with waxed paper dipped in brandy and seal.
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Pickled or spiced cherries

My final recipe from Cordon Bleu:

4lb morello or may duke cherries
                2lb granulated sugar
                1pt white malt or white wine vinegar
                3 roots ginger
                1 stick cinnamon
                3 - 4 cloves
                rind 1/2 lemon

Stone the cherries and put them in an earthenware jar and cover. Stand jar in hot water and cook gently on top of stove.
                Bruise the ginger. Put vinegar, sugar and spices (tied in muslin) in a pan and heat gently to dissolve the sugar. Add juice from cherries to the pan and pack cherries into jars.
                Remove spices and boil liquid hard until it is a thick syrup. Pour over the cherries and screw the lids down at once. Small honey jars are the best for this pickle.

Bernie
                Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Hi
                  Can anyone recommend a book for preserving other fruits in alcohol, or may have other recipes - all info greatly appreciated
                  big digger

Comment

Not cherries exactly.. but I intend to make use of a Rumtopf next year... just do a search on the web & you'll see exactly what I mean. Here is an example : http://www.hopshopuk.com/recipes/rumtopf.html (NB I've not used this company so this is not an endorsement of their service etc)

Indeed most homebrewing establishments will be able to supply the proper pot.

Derek
                    http://madallotment.blogspot.com/ - updated 19/08/2007

Comment

I made a sumer fruit rum punch last year that I have only just finished off and have a bucket ongoing now!

5 L Rum
                      Granulated Sugar
                      Soft Fruits -cherries, blueberries and currants mainly but variety of others too.

Put in a sterilised fermenting bin and left.
                      soft fruit eaten in deserts and liqueur drunk to Xmas
                      all blended to juice after xmas.

http://www.myspace.com/bayviewplot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X